Carnival Destiny (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

very disappointing

Sail Date: September 01, 2010

This was my 6th Carnivale cruise and while we had fun the quality has clearly gone down. Perhaps we picked the wrong week (Labor Day weekend) as the ship was clearly loaded with first time cruisers and young people with no manners or consideration for their fellow passengers. In the past there had been a cocktail party prior to formal night as well as a party for return customers but neither were present on this cruise. On two occasions I notified bar staff that drunken passengers were in the hottubs with alcohol in glasses(not plastic) and they did nothing. I am not a complainer but that was a clear safety risk not only to those passengers but anyone else entering the hottub. If those glasses broke not only could there have been a serious injury but the glass would have caused damage to the hottub mechanism.

Pros: relaxing, entertainment staff, art auction,cleanliness

Cons: food, room and inattentive staff

Recommends Carnival Destiny (RETIRED)? No.

The food in the Universe dining room was so medicore that I thought I was in a chain restaurant. While our waiter was efficient he was not overly friendly. The bus boy served us by constantly passing plates in front of us and needed a lot more training in how to serve properly. We found no ambience in the room. The staff was very nice on our last evening to bring my daughter a cake with candle for her birthday and they sang happy birthday to her. The food at the buffet was adequete.
The shows were very good. Seemed to be enough options for all age groups. On last day at sea many had gathered for movie trivia on the Lido deck. The staff was not able to get teh AV to work so canceled it but never announced that it was canceled. That was rude but all other activities appeared to have taken place.
Our room 2106 was just awful. As a long time customer I expected a decent room, maybe even an upgrade but this room had a bed fit for a small child and a couch. We were right over the engine and got no rest due to the noise. The beds were so uncomfortable. There were 2 portholes in the room which was nice but we would have prefered comfortable beds and a quiet room.
The ship is old but still functional and very clean. I appreciated all the hand sanitizers everywhere
Other than the bartenders who did not tell passengers not to have glasses in the pool we found the staff very nice and friendly. We did not feel that anyone went above and beyond but we also had no specefic complaints with any staff members.