Carnival Destiny (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Can't wait to sail again!!

Sail Date: August 09, 2010

This was my first cruise so I can't make comparisons YET!! But everything was so great that we can't wait to go again. We especially enjoyed the shops and the casino. The lounges were comfortable and the stage was visible from everywhere! The main dining room was very nice and the staff was awesome.

Pros: The courteous, friendly crew and the efficiency of providing all the amenities to a large number of people.

Cons: That we did not choose a cabin with a window.

Recommends Carnival Destiny (RETIRED)? Yes!

Again, can't make a comparison until we go again!! But, the size of the ship was adequate--we weren't exhausted when going from one end to the other! I was very impressed with the ship's cleanliness (restrooms, restaurants).
The variety of food was outstanding: different themes frequently. Dining times certainly accomodated out needs. Main dining roon ambiance was excellent. We were disappointed with the Chinese food specialty restaurant but the others were fine.
The size of our stateroom was larger than I had expected and it was very comfortable with the exception that there were no chairs (just a stool). Our location was great relative to dining room! That was especially nice in the a.m. The condition was outstanding; decor was nothing special.
We never once encountered a rude staff/crew member. That really impressed me.Our steward was so efficient and courteous (always referred to us by name). Our waiter was the BEST!!!! His assistant was also great.
We never had any difficulty finding something to do. There were many activities involving guests and those were fun to watch!!
We did not have children on the cruise, but it sure seemed like they did a great job. We would occasionally see the group of children out (i.e., restaurant) and the staff was in control and the children seemed to be enjoying theselves. They presented a dance program that was awesome!
Grand Turk Island
We are not swimmers/divers; I think those guests enjoyed Grand Turk much more than we did. We did a tour that was adequate but nothing outstanding. We would probably not go ashore there again.
Half Moon Cay, Bahamas (Private Island)
Again, I think the beach was the draw for the guests and it seemed very nice (cabanas, etc.). The shops were nice here. We did the glass bottom boat and really enjoyed it, but wouldn't consider it a "don't miss". The barbecue that the cruise line did was absolutely wonderful. We were impressed with the food, but mostly with the efficiency and the availability of seating (picnic tables/shelters).
Don't Miss: Barbecue!!
We would like to go back to Nassau because unfortunately there was a huge downpour while we were there. There was ankle-deep rushing water in the streets/sidewalks. We were not comfortable finishing our excursion. Shopping was not enjoyable because of the rain. We were soaked and exhausted by the time the rain stopped and returned to the ship. The historical tour was a wate of time but I regret that we weren't able to go to the shops.