Carnival Destiny (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

Improved, but room for improvement

Sail Date: October 01, 2006

This was my 3rd Carnival cruise. I had stopped cruising with Carnival due to quality of food, and unsupervised children. Food quality has improved greatly. There were more choices in the casual dining area on the Lido deck, such as a Deli, a Chinese food area that made dishes to order, and two grill areas for hamburgers, hotdogs, grilled chicken, and fries. The wait staff in this area need to be more attentive to helping diners find a clean empty table. It was frustrating to have food in your hand and walk around and around trying to find a table. Tough beef dishes, except the sirloin strip. Steaks were not always cooked as ordered. Also wait staff on Lido deck not very friendly and rarely smiled. They also had a bad habit of picking up your plate before you were finished. People in wet bathing suits were allowed to come in and wet the cloth covered chairs.
I chose October to avoid having a lot of children running around, but was suprised to still see a number of them. There was still not enough supervision by the parents, but it was better. There were ship crew who were stationed at the Disco entrance to keep children out during adult only times.
Embarkation was the worse of the 9 cruises I have taken, Puerto Rico was confusing at best. Ship staff were not very helpful or friendly. I wanted to check for an upgrade, but was told by the staffer there that all he could do was to run my credit for my sail and sign account.
There seemed to be too much catering to the Puerto Ricans taking the trip. They were the passengers who were most likely not to control their children.Over half ot the passengers seemed to be Latino. Travelers need to be made aware of this.
The Matri Di was not helpful. We were 4 single women and were seated at a booth table for 4. We had been looking forward to meeting other passengers at dinner. Our request for a change was not honored and brushed off.
I could go on and on, but will end with the comment that I would in the future stick with RCCL and other higher end lines. I would recommend Carnival to other younger people, but if you are 50+ look elsewhere.

Pros: Itinerary, all islands were wonderful

Cons: Embarkation, and debarkation. Being charged on Sail andSign account for tips before the end of the cruise., you then have to stand i line to adjust them .