Carnival Destiny (RETIRED) Cruise Review

My wife and I took our first cruise on the Destiny on July 7, 2002. We arrived at the airport in San Juan at 3:30 on Sunday and were in our room by 5:00. We had our luggage by 8:00. Things went very smoothly. We had a wonderful dinner on Sunday evening in the Galaxy Restaurant and spent the rest of the evening on the Lido Deck enjoying the Bon Voyage Party. What a blast!!The first port of call was St. Thomas. We visited Megans Bay (very beautiful) and did some shopping. A very beautiful island. Contrary to what I had read in reviews before the trip, it did not rain in St. Thomas. We had our first meal in the Universe Monday evening. We had the late seating. When we first scheduled the late seating I did not think I would like it. It worked out perfectly because we were able to enjoy the ports and the pool area with entertainment until around 6:00 every day. Our waiter, Marcin from Poland, and his assistant Monalisa from Romania, were excellent every evening. The food in the Universe was very good and the menu had great variety. About 4 hours after departing St. Thomas, we were informed there was a life threatening medical emergency and the ship had to turn around and go to St. Croix with the patient. For this reason, we were unable to go to Martinique because of the distance and time constraints. Instead we visited St. Maarten. It was a beautiful island, but I did not particularly enjoy the shopping area. Another great dinner at the Universe although I got slightly seasick Tuesday evening and had to leave just as the main course was being served.Barbados was a blast! We went on the Jolly Roger. It was great fun, but beware of the rum punch. VERY POTENT!! I ran into a fellow two days later that had too much rum punch and he still had a hangover. We did some shopping and enjoyed the rest of the evening on the ship.Thursday was our first sea day. The pool area was packed but it was a fun day with great entertainment.On Friday, we docked in Aruba. This was my favorite port. We started the day shopping, stopped at Iguana Joes for a light lunch and a couple of Pink Iguanas. We went on a snorkeling adventure in the afternoon. It was absolutely a blast. Lots of sun, fun and Caribbean Ice Teas. That evening we went to Carlos and Charlies. Another great fun spot and kinda wild. Be ready for anything if you go there. I highly recommend it.Saturday was our second sea day and basically the end of the cruise as we docked in San Juan at 4:30 Sunday morning. It was still a great day.We frequented the buffet, the pizza parlor and the hamburger stand. All the food was very good.Sunday's disembarkation was not as bad as expected. We had an early flight and were at the airport by 9:30.I was ready to stay on the ship and do another round. If only I could. It was the best vacation we had and I'm already on line looking at cruises for next year. I highly recommend this cruise on the Destiny.