Carnival Destiny (RETIRED) Cruise Review

My husband and I sailed the 7 day southern Caribbean cruise on the Destiny on 7/7/02. We arrived at the dock at around 2:00pm The embarkation process was very slow and it was very hot, but the vacation adrenaline kept us motivated. Once on the ship, we found our cabin, #7300, to be very nice. Having the balcony was excellent and the room afforded lots of storage space with a good sized bathroom. (We had taken a cruise with Royal Caribbean 4 months earlier and the bathroom was so small you couldn't turn around without knocking something over.) We found that all during the trip the Destiny staff was great. They were very pleasant and accommodating. The ship offered a wealth of activities so no one should have been bored. The Adam Ace comedy act left a lot to be desired, but that was the only disappointment in the entertainment. The lines at the Sun & Sea buffet were pretty long, but I suppose when your are feeding 3000+ people at one time, waiting is to be expected. I found the food and the service to be much better in the main dining rooms, so most of our breakfasts and all of our dinners were eaten there.After departing St. Thomas, there was a medical emergency onboard the ship and we had to go to St. Croix to get the person medical attention. We were enroute to Martinique, but because of the detour, we went to St. Maarten instead. St. Maarten was an awesome port! I've been to Martinique and going to St. Maarten was a welcome bonus.After St. Maarten, the itinerary continued as planned with stops in Barbados and Aruba. I really appreciated Carnival giving the late night departures (10:00pm in Barbados and 11:00pm in Aruba.) It gave us a great opportunity to see much more of the islands.There were a lot of unsupervised children and teens on this cruise who got a little out of hand at times, though this was no fault of the cruise line. Parents should have taken more responsibility for their supervision.Also, the slot machines in Millionaires Casino were extremely tight, so don't plan on winning enough to take your next cruise.The disembarkation process was very well organized. If passengers would just follow the rules and follow directions, things would go without a hitch. Overall, I thought the itinerary, the accommodations the staff and the ship itself were excellent. Carnival was truly the fun ship and I'd sail with them any day!!!