Carnival Destiny (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Jump Ship Now

Sail Date: September 01, 2009

This wasn't Disney, but I still expected to see smiles, not frowns. Many of the workers walked around looking as if they were "mad with the world" and their attitudes matched their faces. I encountered many workers aboard the ship and out of the ones that I encountered only four seemed to truely understand the meaning of hospitable customer service. The majority of the workers I encountered gave off an air of "don't ask me because I don't feel like being bothered." Kris, at the front desk, was perhaps the most upsetting for me. While I had heard sarcastic remarks being made by other crew members, especially during the spa "fun facial" event, I hadn't been as annoyed as I was when Kris condesendingly spoke to me as if I were a two year old he had the right to talk down too. I have a low threshhold for condesending remarks and I informed him that the problem was still out on deck three and to send security to take care of it. My tone was not harsh, but I wasn't my usual "sweet voiced" self either. The interaction with the crew, for me, was like pulling teeth--difficult, exasperating and painful.

Working Order

Beyond the crew problems were the ship problems. Perhaps the later is more important than the former. Carnival Destiny is an older ship, built in 1996, and shee has probles to show for it. It rained our first full day at sea and leaks were noted in the spa (the aerobics room), also in the Deck 9 Sun and Sea resteraunt. When pointed out, a crew member in teh resteraunt simply said it was nothing at all and we could move to another table. We did move, as having water dripping into our food was not the ideal situation. There was another leak over where we moved to, but this leak was dripping onto the floor in the walk isle, so we were able to eat without the added health hazzard.

The ship had "technical" problems on the way to the second island causing it to slow and us to be late by an hour and a half. They were unable to fix the problem and we were all informed that techs would be flying in to the third island (Nassau) to try to repair the problem. Unfortuantely we all later found out the problem was not fixed when we received a late night letter under the cabin door informing us that we would be three and half hours late into our final port - Miami. Panic followed because people with early flights were told they would miss them and would need to reschedule. For guest who were booked on flights after 2:30 p.m. on Carnival's FLYAWEIGH program the letter noted that their flights would be re-scheduled. For all other guest with independent air arraangements on American, Delta, Northwest and Southwest airlines departing prior to 2:30 p.m. they were to take the letter to the ticket counter at the airport and try to re-schedule their flights. The one thing I have noticed is that people who want to get home, don't like upsetting news letting them know they're going to miss their flight and may have to 1. fly stand-by and 2. pay an intial fee to reschedule. The letter also mentioned that Carnival would reimburse any incurred fees for rebooking. The passenger simply had to send in the receipt upon their return home. For people who may have booked this cruise while still employed, only to lose their jobs and not be able to cancel the cruise, finding out you may incur a fee you can't pay in order to get home is not comforting.

Compounded on top of the ship leaks and propellar problems was how often the outer portions of deck three had to be closed. One closure was so they could wash down the lifeboats. I have crusied before and that type of maintenance was not done during a cruise. The other few times I went up the outdoor areas were closed, but I saw no explanation as to why. The final time they chose to do maintenance on the outer portion of deck three they didn't close it. They simply started painting over spots up between the next deck and the lifeboats. The pervasive smell of the paint was a sure sign that this is one

Pros: Our cabin steward was friendly.

Cons: The staff was rude, the food was poor, the ship leaked and the ship broke down in the middle of the ocean.

Recommends Carnival Destiny (RETIRED)? No.

Leaks that I saw in the spa area and the Sun and Sea eating areas.
Not a very good selection; breakfast on the Lido Deck seemed to have the same selection each morning. Dinner in the dining room needed a better variety of dining options. One positive is that there was a vegitarian option offered for the main course on each night.
All that I encountered, except for four people, were rude.
Sheets had brown stain in them. Our cabin steward did his best to keep the room clean and he was very nice.
There was something offered on board even during the days when we were at the islands. This made it possible to have something to do even if you didn't go ashore. There didn't really seem to be anything spectacular about the entertainment options, however.