Carnival Destiny (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

Average cruise

Sail Date: August 01, 2007

Room Type: Suite

The public areas of the ship were nice. Our room was a nightmare. (We paid extra for a Penthouse Suite) Our clock was missing..the bathroom had a terrible odor and a leak from under the sink. Our a/c DID NOT WORK! We had called several times and nothing was fixed. My friends who traveled with us in the Penthouse suite next door had similar problems. Fridge did not work, toilet had to be taken out and replaced.... Our Dinner staff was nice and our room stewart was also very nice. The food did not compare with past cruises we had been on. The formal nights were a joke! We were dressed in suits and dresses and people showed up in jean shorts t-shirts and sandals and were still allowed in the dining room. Why make rules if no one is going to follow them? The dining rooms were on the empty side. There were a lot of tables that were emply every night. We booked over a year in advance and still were seated at two different tables and there were tables for 10 empty. I have been on several Carnival Cruises and this one turned me off to Carnival.

Pros: Ports of call were beautiful

Cons: Food was not even close to past cruises

Recommends Carnival Destiny (RETIRED)? No.

The food was a step above TGI Fridays
Size of ship is nice. Decor is pleasant.
When I went to pick up my son on the first day, the Camp Carnival lady(?) was yelling at a group of children to sit down and be quiet. There was a little girl about 8-9 crying for her mother and was told to stop acting up. My son spent a total of one hour there and after he told me that they were forced to sit at a table in the "disco" the entire time, and do nothing, I didn't drop him off again.
Penthouse Suite was not that big. Too many missing/broken items in the room.. Drawers were broken.. Clock was missing(wires hanging out of wall) Leak in the bathroom under the sink. Fridge not cold- A/C was TERRIBLE! Did not work. Nothing was fixed.
The cruise director was great..Very friendly. The shows were entertaining.
Our room stewart was very sweet and cleaned the room twice a day. Our waitstaff was friendly and pleasant all of the time.