Carnival Destiny (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

Beware of Minors

Sail Date: June 01, 2007

While the itinerary for this cruise was terrific, there were a couple of issues we had. The first is that Carnival allows minors to stay in rooms by themselves and the second is that Carnival allows minors to drink (HEAVILY) on their premises.

We had a lovely balcony room, but across from us (inside) were two teenage boys who not only got their hands on all the alcohol they wanted, they passed out their cabin number as the teenage party spot for the cruise. The second night we actually counted over 40 teenagers hanging out in and just outside of the cabin. Most nights the party ended around 2 or 3am, and one night it last until 4:30am. The first night we called security, they came and asked everyone to disburse. Every night after that, the party moved around (hitting cabin # 8139) every couple of hours throughout the night. Unfortunately, when we called the third night, by the time security arrived, there were only a handful of kids in the cabin and they got real quiet and didnt answer the door. Because of no answer, the security guard knocked on our room. Of course, I was not thinking about my own security at this point and I opened the door. The security guard asked me some questions and then left. After that, the kids came out and yelled some profanities through my door (obviously having watched him talk to me through their door). Needless to say, I had a very unsettling cruise from there on out.

When I went to the security desk the next day, I was told that Carnival did not see this as an issue they had any control over or any responsibility for. Even though I explained to them that each night we would witness the kids carrying off youngsters who were so drunk, they could not have had any recollection whatsoever (yes, they also had the room next door to ours, which is where they tossed the kids who were out cold), Carnival still said that this was such an insurmountable problem, that they would not even begin to be able to do anything about it.

By the fourth day, we saw the older brother, his girlfriend and their parents stop by (all had rooms in very different areas of the ship). Clearly they had booked the rooms so that these kids could have their own space. The brother and girlfriend (probably in their mid to late twenties) knew what was going on, but I dont think the parents did (they only stopped by on the last afternoon to ensure everyone knew they had to leave their bags outside their door that night). I understand that Carnival cannot know when every single person switches a room, but they should do something about it when it is blatantly pointed out to them. On top of this, I dont understand the process by which they would go to the cabin of the person who made the call. They could have called me back or asked me to come to the security desk instead of putting our safety in danger by pointing us out to the offenders.

What frustrated me most was not only the fact that we paid thousands of dollars for this cruise and we didnt get to sleep one single night, but that the folks at Carnival think it is perfectly okay for minors to drink on their premises.

If you have teenagers on this cruise, do not think for a minute they are not drinking (literally chugging alcohol) when away from you. We saw some of these kids with their parents during the day (at breakfast, dinner, on tours etc.) and they were salt of the earth, sweet, conservative people who had no idea about who their sweet children were becoming at night or how dangerously drunk they were getting.

Make no mistake; this is a party cruise for teenagers with Carnival seeing no responsibility of theirs in it whatsoever. If you expect to sleep, or you expect your family to be safe, do not give Carnival your money for this cruise.

Pros: Itinerary

Cons: Parties allowed in cabins by minors all through the night.

Recommends Carnival Destiny (RETIRED)? No.

Decor is very old and out of style, but they keep it very very clean.
Everyone except for security/front desk was very helpful.