Seasoned Cruiser

Carnival Destiny (RETIRED) 28 Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Sail Date: November 01, 2006
Ship: Carnival Destiny (RETIRED) 28
My overall experience on this cruise is less than pleasant. I have been on other Carnival cruises as well as other lines and have found this cruise to be by far the worst experience! The food was subpar. Dining in the Lido turned out to be disguisting because of the rude nature of many people on board (i.e. I saw one lady pick up food with tongs, drop the food on the counter, and commensed to pick it back up with the tongs (but had difficulty so she used her hands) and placed it back into into the service line to be picked up by an unsuspicious guest. Needless to say, for the remainder of the cruise I opted for seated dining.
If you are going on this cruise, please be aware of the number of Puerto Ricans attending. This ship tends to cater to spanish speaking guests. I cruised during the week of Thanksgiving....BIG MISTAKE! There were over 1,000 children and teens on board (per Decio ship host). The Puerto Ricans allowed their children to run all over the ship unsupervised, there teens were "hanging out" in every crack/corner of the ship they could find--they were even lounging and laying around many of the common areas near the elevators. The rudeness of the people was overly blatant. Forget about standing in line and waiting your turn, they will jump you at every opportunity.
And if you're interested in an elegant dinner, you can forget that too! This is the first cruise that I have been on where underdressed guests were allowed to enter the dining area on formal nights. When I say under dressed, I mean see through lace mini skirts with thongs showing or jeans accompanied with bra tops. I don't even know why I bothered to dress up. A formal dinner was turned into a PR "ho down."
Don't think about getting any rest. There are endless room parties with the constant smell of marajuana. My only joy was getting off the ship at the different ports (Dominica was beautiful) I'm thoroughly disappointed and will never leave on another cruise leaving from Puerto Rico!

The staff wasn't very friendly, but I think it had a lot to do with the overall culture of the ship. The majority of the PR patrons were rude.

This ship claimed to be refurbished, but the splendor simply was not there.

My bathroom kept overflowing with water. It was disgusting. Finally, the plumber came to unclog the drains, but the raw sewage smell seemed to lag behind.

Pros: Ports of Call

Cons: Buffet on the Lido and MASSIVE number of teens and children

Recommends Carnival Destiny (RETIRED) 28? No.