Carnival Conquest Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

We would not go on this cruise again. Very disappointed!

Sail Date: August 02, 2015

This was my 5th cruise and my husband's 8th cruise. Unfortunately, I think this was the last Carnival ship that we will be going on.

POOLS:
The Conquest ship was old and outdated and the pools were WAY too small for the amount of people on board. We had 3 days at sea during our 8 day cruise and those days were honestly the worst. The main pool area was extremely loud with music and tons and tons of people. We are only 31 years old and the main pool has been where we have spent most of our time in the past, but it was not relaxing AT ALL this time, so we decided to spend our days at the adult pool. That was obviously much quieter, however, the pool was just as crowded. There were times that my husband and I wanted to go into the pool but had to wait until a few people got out because there was literally no room. When we did go in, we had to keep our hands to our sides and kind of hop to an open area to stand in the water hoping not to touch anyone else. Because the pool was so crowded and it was so small, the water didn't seem to filter because there was no water flow. There was a film on the water (probably from everyone's sunscreen)  that made you feel gross when you even went into the pool. My husband and I didn't even put our head underwater because it was that gross.
Pool chairs: there are quite a few chairs, but they are right on top of each other, so be prepared to have to sit next to people you don't know. Also, the chairs are so close together that you have to crawl into the chair from the end of the chair; you can't step next to your chair to get in.

FOOD:
Breakfast Buffett: food was the exact same everyday. It included, cereal, bagels, bread, cheese/salami, honeydew and cantaloupe, eggs, potatoes, French toast, pancakes, sausage, and either eggs Benedict with ham or salmon. And there was an omelette station.
Lunch: there is only one Buffet now (different from previous cruises). The buffet tended to have chicken, rice, fish, potatoes. Then in place of the old buffet options, there is now a burger joint which was good, a 24 hour pizza joint which was also good, a taco station, and a deli. The lunch area was very crowded even during off times because the ship was so full. There were a lot of staff members cleaning up the tables though which was nice.
Dinner: we did late seating in the dining room which we have always done. 8:15 sounds late but it works well so that you can actually spend a lot of your day outside or on the islands without having to rush back to the ship to get ready before dinner. You can request your own table which was nice. The food in the dining room was good. It wasn't great; it was just okay or good. We used to love the dinners on previous cruises but this just wasn't the same. On precious cruises, you would have a waiter, a person serving water and bread, and then they would even have someone around to order wine or other drinks. This ship was definitely understaffed. We basically had 2 people serving us and they had to run around to about 20 other tables. They were friendly but you didn't get to know them at all because they were so incredibly busy. We also ordered wine and had it corked for the next day, and both times we had them do this, it was on our table the next day but they didn't have it chilling in a bucket. We asked them for a bucket but they forgot because they were so busy doing other things. We also had to pour our own refills, which was fine for us but it is just very different from the fine dining experience we used to have on cruises. They also used to serve you a piece of bread and then they would come back and give u another piece if you wanted some, but now some tables have baskets of bread, or in our section, the waitress would give us 2 or 3 pieces all at once. Again, it's not a big deal but we always looked forward to having a fine dining experience on the cruise and this wasn't really that. Another thing we weren't happy with was that when my husband would order more than one appetizer, they used to wait for you to finish one, but this time, they would bring them both at the same time and try to make room for it on our tiny table. The waiter also tried bringing me my dinner when I had just started eating my salad; this happened twice and I finally told him that I wasn't ready for my meal.
One nice thing is they did have an appetizer every night under the section "did you ever try" and they offered unique foods like frog legs, ox tongue, alligator fritters, etc.
Also, the menu had items that changed everyday but then it also had items that were available every night. We were disappointed to see that some of the items were an additional $20 charge.

WIFI:
We bought most expensive package for the week; I think it was around $100. My husband had to check and reply to emails for work so we needed to make sure he had access to at least that. Well, the wifi only worked for us twice during our entire trip, and even when it did work, it was extremely slow, and two of the emails that we thought went through, ending up failing. We requested our money back for the package except I told them that I would pay for the two days that it did kind of work to be fair and they did refund us for the other 6 days.

ROOM:
The room was outdated but it was pretty clean. The walls very very thin so it was noisy at times. We even heard the phone ringing from the room next to ours numerous times. We requested a fan from maintenance and that helped a lot. There was only one outlet in the entire room though including the bathroom so we had to continuously plug and unplug things including the hair dryer, camera battery, kindle, my husbands work phone, and the fan. I think the most annoying part was having to use the hair dryer in the middle of the room since there wasn't even a plug in the bathroom.

PORTFOLIO- sail and sign card:
You can no longer view your sail and sign card portfolio from your tv in your room. You can only access it from a kiosk or at the guest services desk so just be prepared to wait in long lines the last day or two of your cruise when everyone begins looking at the charges.

ELEGANT PICTURES:  they actually had about 12-15 different backdrops set up around the ship on elegant cruise nights which was nice because the lines were maybe only 15-20 people long so you could actually get your photo taken about 3 times in an hour or so which was pretty convenient.

Overall, we had a nice time being on vacation but this ship was not the greatest and I would not recommend it to my family or friends. If we were to cruise again, we would not go with Carnival.