Carnival Conquest Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Horrible experience on Carnival Conquest

Sail Date: December 01, 2009

I have been a very loyal customer of Royal Carribbean. I decided to try Carnival only because they sail to the Bahamas. The first day of the cruise we were unable to leave the Port of Galveston because of the heavy fog. I understand Carnival Conquest has no control over the fog. Our initial stops were to include Freeport and Nassau Bahamas as well as Key West. They cancelled our stop in Freeport and reduced our stop in Nassau Bahamas. Also, we only spent five hours in Key West. We were not able to dock in downtown Key West as planned and was routed to the Naval Base in Key West. Instead of being able to walk right off the boat into downtown we had to ride trams. The cruiselines instructed us at 11:00 a.m. that the overcast weather looked as if it would clear up by early afternoon. We departed the boat around 11:30 and rode the tram into downtown Key West. At approximately 12:30 we experienced excessive rain and tornado warnings. The stores downtown closed because of the rain and they placed sandbags around the perimiter of the store because of the heavy flooding. We were sitting on trams waiting to go back to the ship when the flooding waters began to rise and we were instructed by the driver to wade through the water and walk to higher ground. The water was approximately 3 feet deep. Cars were stalled out in the water and approximately 100 of us cruisers walked a couple of blocks through this muddy water to catch the tram on higher ground. Once we were on higher ground Carnival Conquest didn't have enough trams available. We were standing outside unprotected in the lightning, thunder and heavy rains while we waited on the transportation back to the Naval Base. I understand that the rain was not something the cruiselines had any control over; howevere, I feel like they should have warned us of the impending weather. They knew we were about to experience heavy rainfall, flooding and thunderstorms. They should have warned us and allowed us the opportunity to decide if we wanted to go to Key West or stay on the ship. My clothes are ruined from the dirty water we waded through and I now have a very bad cold from being soak and wet waiting on the transportation and wading through the water.

Cons: Cruise lines failed to warn us of the weather

Recommends Carnival Conquest? No.

Our television didn't work and the light switch for the bathroom was very hard to turn on.
They also painted a room across the hall from ours while we at dinner and when we returned the smell of paint fumes were overwhelming.