Carnival Conquest Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

A good cruise for the money!

Sail Date: October 01, 2009

Overall I was very happy with thmy first Carnival Cruise, leaving Galveston, stopping in Montego Bay, Jamaica, then Grand Cayman, and finally Cozumel, Mexico. I expected to enjoy Jamaica most but would actually go back to Cozumel if I had the chance. In Jamaica, the poor economy made people desperate enought o be overly pushy. They tried something new with debarkation and just let you get off with no organization- it did not work! Talk about stressful! I hope they go back to organizing that again.

The ship was beautiful, and I loved the adults only pool area, which was SO quiet. Overall, the food was decent, except lunch and dinner buffets. Entertainment was good but some of the shows were too cheesy and didn't seem professional.

The service on the ship was reasonable but not impressive. I can say no one went above and beyond which left me disappointed. They also seemed to be letting people bring alcohol back on the ship into their rooms, though it didn't get out of control like I had heard of Carnival cruises.

Overally, we got a great price on a balcony room and enjoyed the trip overall!

Pros: Comedians, Sit-down dinner, Ship condition

Cons: Embarkation process issues, excurstion debarkation, buffet food

Recommends Carnival Conquest? Yes!

The buffet was awful, other than breakfast. At least they offered salad and pizza options, which were good. The sit down dinner was very good actually. Plenty of options and reasonable service. I was used to the staff singing or dancing on "formal" nights, but they did it every night on this cruise. Formal nights were even less formal than on any cruise I'd been on.
This area was a disappointment. We saw no personality or interactions with most of the staff. They did their jobs but it didn't seem like they had fun doing it. No examples of above and beyond... most nights we had to ask for things to be refilled at dinner. The stateroom was cleaned timely.
The comedians on board were awesome. The dancers and shows were disappointing, being overly cheesy enough that a lot of people got up and left during the shows. There was plenty else to do on board so I went to the best of the show options and still had plenty of activity vs. relaxation time.
Very impressive in decor and condition. They quickly cleaned our staterooms multiple times a day. The only issue would be accessability. Because of the layout, you couldn't get to AFT parts of the ship on several main floors without going up or down to get around.
We chose a balcony room for the first time and were very happy with it. It was nice having the sofa there that could have been another bed but kept things out of our way. Nice shower designs kept the bathroom floor dry, better than most cruises. We loved the location of our room, slightly forward of midship.