Carnival Conquest Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Good but not Great!

Sail Date: February 01, 2007

This was my first sailing in about 10 years, but my friends 5th in more recent years We were very excited about sailing on the Carnival Conquest, but when we boarded we were both amazed at how small the lobby area was. They have made it very tall but it seems so little in actual floor space. It was not grand at all. We were also very disappointed in our room as we had booked an ocean view which was to have a sofa seating area and approx 220 square feet. Our room did not have any sitting area at all and it was not even close to 220sf. The ship was completely booked so there was not even a glimmer of hope to move. When we asked about the discrepency in the room description we were only told..."well, that room should not be sold as that category. Yet they still showed it as the category that we booked. I thought the Entertainment Cruise Director was very low class and very poorly dressed. We had a good time on the ship, but felt it could have been improved with just a few adjustments. Our service in the dining room was fair. They had some variety, but the taste could have definitely been better I thought there was not enough seasonings in most of the foods, and there seemed to be a lot of emphasis on Mexican Food and steak. The buffets up by the pool were nice for lunch and snack and actually had pretty good variety except for breakfast.... there were no breakfast options for meat if you do not eat pork ....Turkey or beef bacon/sausage would have been nice. Also, a switch to biscuits and donuts once in a while would have tasted good. The Deli Sandwiches, The Beef Hot Dogs and the Pizzas up by the pool were all very good. The Spa was nothing to write home about. No robes, shoes, water etc. you expect in a Spa. Every treatment I tried was a "sales pitch" throughout the entire time. You could not relax for being told what you should buy. One lady got up and said she was not going to sit through that. I wish I had. After two tries I did not book anything else. The shopping areas left a lot to be desired. I think because the ship promotes its size so much we expected larger and grander public areas. In my opionion they would be better advised to lower the ceiling on the lobby and expand it, and combine some of the bars into larger areas instead of one every 10 feet, and make the casino larger too. I will take another cruise on another ship and then I can better compare. I am not saying I would never go on the Conquest again, but I will not go again until I try something else first. I like the aspect of sailing, but this trip was just a bit lower classed than I was expecting. The staff did not appear "crisp" to me. Most looked like their uniforms just came out of the wash, not pressed at all. I really enjoyed the clean towels twice a day and the surprise towel animal each night, but I would also have liked clean sheets which I do not believe were changed our entire week. We did enjoy our cruise, but wished it could have been a little different experience. A friend had told me that the Carnival Cruises were known as a lower class, but still fun to take. I guess I should have put more stock in her comment. Go see for yourself.

Pros: New Experience

Cons: Lobby and Spa and Room size

Recommends Carnival Conquest? Yes!

Public areas were too small especially lobby and casino . Also, it was much too COLD in the public areas and especially in the dining room (Monet) and the lounge and the elevator areas. I think the ship was clean. The large atrium over the lobby made it a little difficult to navigate between Aft and Forward, especially going to dinner in the evening.
I knew the rooms would be small, but we were totally mislead regarding our room based on the category we chose. I tried very specifically to confirm the room we had. We booked a 6B category which was to have sofa, 220sf and large window. That is not what we had. We barely had room to walk into our door, and two twin beds. There was no sofa and no sitting area. This should not be. You should be able to at least know what you are getting.
Food for dinner in dinning room was average. Some extra seasonings and sauces could have improved the quality a lot. Dining Times were fine with me except breakfast could have been a little later. There could have been more variety at breakfast along with some non pork meat options such as beef or turkey bacon/sausage. Maybe some donuts and biscuits once in a while. I think I was also expecting a litte more "show" for the last night's dining by the staff. I thought the prices for extras like soft drinks and alcohol were very fair, but they vairied in prices from one area to another. Same drink in dining room was more expensive than in the lobby bar.
I did not feel anyone went over and beyond but they were friendly. I did not see a lot of eye contact, but when asked they always did help. Our evening waitor was very friendly. There were a few expceptions of very friendly staff, but I did not see that as an over all trait.
We really enjoyed the wine tasting and the afternoon tea. The shows were average each night. We had a lot of fun on the Mardi Gras Night with the Red, White and Blue competition. Band at the pool was good in the afternoons, and if you wanted to nap you could move away. I never found anywhere to listen to any type of music of the Frank Sinatra era.