How I love Cruising With Carnival

Carnival Breeze Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Carnival Breeze

7 Night Western Caribbean (Port Canaveral Roundtrip)

Sail date: October 19, 2019

Ship: Carnival Breeze

Cabin type: Inside

Traveled as: Couple

Review summary

Breeze is a wonderful ship with so many features and events that everyone should be able to be occupied throughout their vacation. Carnival knows how to keep their guests happily involved. Although they set guidelines, they seem to allow anyone to do anything they please anyway. If you want to act crazy and go wild, this is a fine place to do just that. There are so many activities that you should never be bored. Give it a whirl and have a fun trip.

Embarkation

When you have priority boarding you pass every line and go right on board.

Ship experiences

Food was good, but obviously prepared for very large groups. More than one evening we just skipped dinner because there was nothing that we would enjoy eating. Those nights we would try some other meal, and there were certainly many options. Other times we wanted some of everything. Breakfast at the buffet was just fine, but I would have appreciated corned beef hash or an English muffin -- just one quirk that I have. I love Guy's burgers, but I was truly disappointed with Guy's Pig & Anchor BBQ. It was dry and just awful, and I really like most BBQ. Alternately, I really enjoyed the Red Frog Rum Pub and their two happy hours. Snacks were great, and just $3.33 ea. or dessert for $2.22. Wish there were happy hours every day (and we looked!). Waiters in the dining rooms did their song and dance a couple times as in past cruises, and the maitre'd moved our dining time with no hassle. Carnival just has a hard time saying "NO".

RedFrog Rum Bar

My favorite location on the ship. If you want a drink or a snack, this is the place to go. If you want to visit, play cards or work puzzles, this is the place to go. If you want a craft beer or a tropical beverage, this is the place for the best value, and right smack in the middle of the ship.

Blush Dining Room

Beautiful facility with a matre'd who knows his business and takes care of things. Only issue is that dress codes are certainly not enforced even though they are rather loose. Guests arriving an hour or more late can cause everyone at their table to have their meal (and evening activities) delayed while someone "catches up". Food presentation is not what it used to be, but much better than home for most people. Worth the time if you are in for a leisurely evening meal.

Guy's Burger Joint

One place I remembered from previous cruises, and one place that I wanted to see again. Carnival has upgraded their burger place to something worthwhile.

Activities are managed by the cruise director, and our first impression at muster announcements was quite negative. I never did appreciate anything that he said, and found that it was often not accurate. Carnival always has the best activities, even if you don't appreciate the director. I didn't understand why the wind dispensers at the library were never active -- just something different that I really wanted to see. In fact, on multiple visits and different times, no one from the crew was ever available there.

Serenity

Good place to get away from the ship's noise and activities. On the top deck, it allows sun or shade, wind or calm, but always a place for rest and relaxation.

Carnival shows have always been the best! My first experience with LED panels and lasers left me mesmerized. Those 10 other performers on the video were CERTAINLY real. Same equipment this time was truly disappointing. Real performers were lackluster at best. Dollars were thrown at technology rather than talent. Producers did not make it happen as it did in the past. There are more activities than any other cruise line, but I guess that I am a bit nostalgic about how it used to be.

The Thrill Theater

A theater with interaction with the events on the screen itself. Wear your 3D glasses to experience the sights, sounds and interaction of the generally animated characters. for the 15 minutes of show, it seems a bit pricey at $5.50, but to each his own. There are three different levels of intensity for the $5.50 each time through each level.

Library

A very quiet and unused location. They advertise wine samples from multi dispensers but never saw them uncovered for use or any crew member in attendance.

My waiter just tried to too hard to gain my appreciation. He was too touchy, feely. Room stewardess was WONDERFUL. Never any more than what we wanted, but more than what we expected. With priority status, the guest services were very responsive to me, but others had to wait in long lines to talk to anyone. I have long objected to Carnival's cavalier attitude to allowing kids to run rampant through the aisles on the ship, thinking that this may well cause injury to one of the many older guests who cannot avoid the children at that fast pace. My latest observation is that overweight individuals are using high performance mobility carts to bowl through the aisles at about 15 MPH, daring anyone to get in the way. A 500 lb. individual on a Maxima cart can do significant damage to someone at that speed. This is unlawful on a pedestrian walkway in Port Canaveral, and I am certain that someone injured in such a manner would have no problem finding Carnival liable for allowing this situation. This is similar to the Carnival attitude of disregarding their own rules in dining dress code, serenity area usage, pool lounge reservations, etc. In fact, I have been absent from the Carnival scene for more than 2 years (most unusual for me) due to these unsafe and obtrusive practices.

Someone is always cleaning or fixing. The layout is such that there should never be much of a line for any service (except maybe the guest services desk). Food lines are mostly due to passengers not moving to an alternate side or area. It was amazing to see people waiting in one line while there was no one in a similar line for the identical items.

My inside cabin was very well cleaned and serviced, but it did not appear to be 185 sq. ft. as shown in descriptions. That is a typical Carnival-sized cabin, but it seemed considerably smaller than what I am used to having. There was no sofa or chair, nor was there room to have such. I would certainly book a larger cabin on any subsequent cruise on the Breeze.

Ship tip

Take advantage of the happy hours in the Red Frog Rum Pub, and bring your bottle of wine and canned drinks with you if you want those items.

Ports of call

Port Canaveral, Florida

This port is only an hour's drive from my home, so I did no ship excursion here. It can be a challenge finding a reasonable parking location, however. Five miles away is no worse than the half mile locations advertised. You will not likely walk that far with luggage, and $20/day plus one day is not reasonable for Port Canaveral.

I have been to Cozumel many times, and this is a favorite port of mine. After shopping and haggling to my heart's content, I decided to try doing all-inclusive day resorts for about $50-$75, much better than the ship's excursions.

Belize City, Belize Did not visit port

Been here a few times, and didn't find too much exciting.

Mahogany Bay, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras

Raining early, but enjoyed a tour that skipped the beach area. My tour guide was very well educated and knowledgeable of the various areas and goings on.

Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico

No need to do an excursion here unless you want to see Mayan ruins or something. I was told that they are building new ones every year, so I should really try to see them. The best thing is to take a cab or bus into town ($3-4) and see the local color. The residents will try to lure you into spending time in a lounge on the beach and providing you with unlimited food and drinks. That will likely cost you $65-70 per couple, really not a bad deal. The water there is clean, blue and likely better than the other ports on this cruise.

Disembarkation

Disembarkation has gotten so much better than in the past. Carnival has figured out how to get you off the ship in a timely manner, and customs is using a facial recognition routine to link to your passport photo. You no longer need to fill out a declaration form, and they don't ask much of anything. Our non-passport line seemed to move better than the passport one (mine has expired) but either way it goes soooo smooth.

1 Comment