Caribbean Princess Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

overall fantastic

Sail Date: September 01, 2007

Overall, the ship and crew were fantastic. The ship was immaculate and beautiful. With a few exceptions the crew was phenomenal. High praise for the chefs of Sabatini's and Sterling's, two of the finest restaurants on earth as well as the wait staff for both who went above and beyond to make our dining experience unforgettable.
The one exception--before our cruise my husband and I made arrangements for one of our travelling companions (another couple) to receive some chocolate covered strawberries and wine in the cabin. The strawberries arrived but the wine never made it. When I tried to rectify this on board with guest services they said "they will look into it" and we never heard another thing. The couple whom we sent this to reciprocated and ordered a bottle of champagne for us which never arrived and when they inquired they received the same response "they will look into it" and never heard anything. They also had a piece of luggage filled with wine that never arrived to their cabin. They looked at photos of unclaimed luggage and none of it was theirs. I'm not sure if they ever got it back. They did call ahead to make sure they could bring this on board and were told they could. Coincidentally, my Amex bill came today and I was charged for both the strawberries AND the wine that never arrived. We'll see how customer service is this time around.

Pros: exceptional restaurants

Cons: if you had a problem-customer service

Recommends Caribbean Princess? Yes!

We really didn't atttend too much on board other than the comedy show (not enough seats) and a wine tasting session. My husband and I both got massages with the spa and I would recommend this to anyone who asks. Just say no to the hard sales pitch at the end or you will end up with a 70.00 bottle of oil (my husband can't say no). However, my back feels great after my deep tissue massage and I was able to say no to an additional seaweed wrap/massage being suggested for me (even though I really wanted it).
We kept finding pools everywhere!
Make the time to visit Sterling's Steak House and Sabatini's Italian Restaurant. These were two of the best meals I have ever had.
Of course the bathrooms are small. We had a balcony room and will never travel without one again. Mario our steward was attentive and helpful.
The wait staff in Sterlings and Sabatini's went above and beyond to make sure my travel partners and I had a great time while dining in their restaurants. The food was exceptional but pair it with the staff and it was even more so. They were very accomodating and friendly.
Princess Cays (Cruise Line Private Island)
Plenty of sand and surf. Watched volleyball players while I drank overpriced fruity drinks. The drinks were great, the price too high though. Great location, swimming area was ok. The waters were murky not clear.
Don't Miss: just relax and enjoy yourself
Went on the 100ft submarine tour. This experience is different although overpriced for what you get. They accomodated an elderly woman with a walker quite well even with the steep ladder leading into the submarine. The staff was very friendly and attentive. The orange juice and tequila after the 'dive' was refreshing. Hit us up for 10.00 for the 'pre-dive' photos. The tour was good but you really don't see too much considering it was almost 100.00 per person. I am wondering what the difference between this tour and the mini sub tour was other than 50.00 per person. When travelling down the streets to the stores--do not go off the beaten path, my husband and I took a turn and walked about 100 feet down a side street and quickly turned around. Stay on the main roads with the rest of the tourists.
Don't Miss: My friends went to Senor Frogs and had a blast. Walk along the beaches, beautiful.
Ocho Rios, Jamaica
The canopy tour was exciting, sweltering, and fantastic. Lance, one of the instructors remembered many of the participants names and there were over 30 of us there. This is not for the faint of heart. It was exhillarating! Margaritaville at Ochos Rios is the epicenter of partying in the Caribbean. We had a blast! We swam, drank, went down the slide (backwards, forwards, upside down, etc.), we did body shots of tequila (free) as well as shots directly poured into our mouths, we participated in games, and then we did it all over again. We had a mishmash of ages in our group (32-50) but we all enjoyed it and felt like teenagers again.
Don't Miss: for the strong and fearless- the Canopy tour---for the young at heart- Margaritaville
George Town, Grand Cayman
We had such a great time at Margaritaville's in Ochos Rios that we tried this one too. not the same. Pool and slide are much smaller (didn't swim, no swim up pool bar, smaller slide), the seats/tables were located inside under a roof, and it was more of a restaurant atmosphere rather than a bar. Better for familiies, not as good for the person looking for a good time. Although, we had a great time here too. The DJ was awesome and kept things lively. The games we played were similar to the ones the previous day and yet we had just as much fun if not more, just different.
Don't Miss: Shopping. This is THE place to shop for watches, jewelry, etc.