First cruise First rate

Brilliance of the Seas

Sail Date: January 14, 2014

Ship: Brilliance of the Seas

Review Summary

In January 2014, I went on my very first cruise. My husband had been on a few cruises so he was up a little more of what to expect. From the start, I have to say I was impressed.

We drove from Texas to Florida to embark from Tampa. The port was clean and we got there early enough to where the lines were very short. We were onboard by 12:30. The first thing we did was head to the Windjammer for lunch. The food was great as were the veggie decorations. We had to wait for a couple of hours for our room and once it was ready it was not long before our luggage arrived. We met our steward once and he kept our room nice and neat throughout the cruise.

This was a training cruise and I was in meetings most of time on Sea days. I did not participate in very many daytime activities. We did, however, go to the show in the evening and they were top notch. We also went to the main dining room in the evening for late dinner. It was always wonderful. I was even brave enough to try new things.

The wait staff was wonderful and always remembered what we ordered. He learned quick that I would want ice tea and alway kept my glass full.

Our ports were Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Both were top notch and time well spent. The best was Cozumel where we went to Chankanaab Park where we swam with dolphins and snorkeled. The water is so very clean you can see the bottom of the ocean floor.

Leaving the ship was a breeze. We did not put our luggage out so we carried it off ourselves. We were off the ship and on our way by 10:30 am.  We had a great time and I have caught the cruising bug.

Ship Experiences

I could not have asked for better food. There was a great variety and all well prepared.

I can not really comment here as I did not participate in any on-board activities

Always fun and entertaining. The cruise director did a great job and she was very nice

Although we only met our room steward once he kept the room neat and always provided us with fresh towels and turned our bed down each night. I was disappointed that we only got the towel buddy once on our last night

The ship was clean and in great working order. There was never any point where I thought it could be better

Our cabin exceeded our expectations. There was enough storage with some to spare. It was great to have a frig in the room. It came stocked with water and soda that we removed and put in the closet because to drink it would be at an extra cost. We informed our steward that we had done so, so we would not be charged. My only complaint would be how the bed was positioned. It would have been great to be able enjoy the oceanview without climbing on the bed.

Traveler Photos

The water was so clear in Cozumel we could see the ocean floor 20 feet away. We were greeted by this guy when we arrived at Chankanaab. The food art was amazing.