Brilliance of the Seas Cruise Review to Europe - Mediterranean

Great Itinerary

Sail Date: August 01, 2010

The ship was very clean. Our toilet, however, and many toilets in nearby cabins stank really badly for the first few days. The workmen poured chlorine in the toilets but it didn't help. Some of the customer relations staff were not friendly at all. They even gave out wrong information. They told me to get stamps at the tobacconist in Civitavecchia. I had just come back onboard, but left the ship once again to get the stamps. It would have been nice if the staff member had told me that the tobacconists are closed on Sundays! Another customer service person told me she didn't speak English, only Spanish, and dismissed me. Unfortunately for her, I speak Spanish fluently, so she had to speak to me. I later heard her speak in English, by the way. I got the impression that the customer service staff were not at all happy in their jobs.
The food was fine, however, not as good as on the Holland America cruises we have been on before. We didn't actually eat in the restaurant, but got room service as we had a lovely large balcony. For several nights we were able to order from the restaurant menu for room service, but then later were told that they had made a mistake, that we could only order from the room service menu. I liked the curries they served, the fresh salads, and the fresh fruit.
There seemed to be lots of activities for children, and indeed for people of all ages. I attended two Art History presentations which I enjoyed.
I do think that we were charged too much for the shuttle at Venice. In the end, RCI could have made use of a tender for us all, which is what they did at Cannes.

Pros: The different ports of call.

Cons: Smelly toilet. Was seasick on last day due to high winds.

Recommends Brilliance of the Seas? Yes!

Although we never ate in the restaurant we did look at their menu and ordered from it several times as room service. I didn't notice lobster, something which is offered on Holland America. Sometimes the food didn't taste of anything. It wasn't bad, just tasteless. The curry, however, was quite tasty.
We were located way at the back of the ship. Nice large balcony, but long walk to anywhere. I didn't mind the walk, but people who don't like to walk would find it frustrating. The cabin itself was small, and the toilet was tiny. Everything was clean, however, except the rancid stench from the toilet.
Was not impressed by the staff.
As mentioned above - toilet in cabin stank.