Azamara Quest (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Panama Canal, Central America

Best cruise I've ever been on

Sail Date: March 01, 2008

The ship is a smaller, classier version of a cruise ship. Only 700 passengers (as opposed to the "megabarges" like those run by Carnival or Princess). DEFINITELY the way to go, IMO. Much more laid back, less "glitz," more "substance."

Pros: The food - best I've ever had on a cruise

Cons: The entertainment

Recommends Azamara Quest (RETIRED)? Yes!

There was one performer that was fantastic (a female singer). Other than that, the entertainment was pretty ho-hum. Because the ship is smaller, the stage and performance areas are also small. I didn't really care, because I don't go on a cruise for the entertainment, but if you're wanting Broadway-quality performances, Azamara is not for you.
S.S. Quest was built in 2000, and fully refurbished in 2006. A -very- clean ship, with a layout that is very easy to move around in. The ship's appointments were done in very good taste - quality workmanship is the standard on Quest.
The food was just out of this world. Very well prepared dishes, presented exquisitely. Dining was "open" with the option to "share" or to dine at a table for two. We always shared, and consequently got to meet some of the nicest people we've ever met on a cruise. There were NO "formal" nights - goodbye, tuxedo (wahoo)! There were also two "special" restaurants that cost $ 5 / person ("suggested" tip). The presentation was even fancier, with the food pretty much the same as the main dining room - maybe a little more upscale (hard to do).
With Quest being a smaller ship, the staterooms were also smaller than usual, but were well planned, so that space really wasn't a problem. Our closet had TONS of room (and hangers!) for clothes - important for a 14-day cruise. The balcony was awesome - private breakfast "al fresco" every morning on a ship - Ahhh!...
The staff was genuinely nice and attentive - I think they were the only seemingly truly happy cruise staff I have ever seen.