Great Cruise But the food, not so much.

Anthem of the Seas Cruise Review

Cruises: 2-3 cruises

Overall rating:

Anthem of the Seas

5 Night Bermuda (Cape Liberty Roundtrip)

Sail date: October 19, 2019

Ship: Anthem of the Seas

Cabin type: Inside

Cabin number: 8517

Traveled as: Couple

Review summary

Ship was nice, and big, but at the same time they crammed so much into it that made it seem small. Cannot walk to the bow on this one. Staff were unhappy and food was tasteless and cold. What saved this cruise was that it was only 5 days with 2 days in Bermuda, lovely little island.

Embarkation

Quick and easy, walked right in.

Ship experiences

Windjammer Marketplace

The breakfast was a complete disappointment. The bacon was thin and greasy as if they deep fried it and didn’t drain the grease. The eggs weather the precooked ones or the omelette made to order were completely tasteless. The pork sausages were either undercooked and pale in color or crispy on the outside almost burned it somehow with the middle not cooked. And of course super greasy. The french toast and waffles were absolutely disgusting, a mooshy wet mess in the middle, again not cooked/ baked properly. And don’t give me this complimentary crap because it’s not complementary. It is paid for!! Nothing, absolutely nothing is complementary on a cruise ship!! If you believe that you are too naive. Dinner was slightly better but not by much. The proteins again were tasteless. If my eyes were closed I wouldn’t know what I was eating. Quality is just getting worse and worse as the years go by. Confirmed this with other cruisers with many more years of cruising and a lot said they are giving up on Royal Caribbean due to the food just being bad!! Waitstaff were slower than molasses. Finding a clean table to sit and eat the horrible food took quite a search and a few loops around the place. Because 1 you have the inconsiderate fellow cruisers that finished eating but sit there hogging a table for another 30, 40min to an hour yapping on their phones. And 2 the waitstaff wouldn’t clean the ones that were empty and full of dirty dishes.

Solarium Bistro

This one had good food. I don’t know how since the food pretty much all comes from the same place.

Silk

Service was great, however the food lacked in taste. Very blend.

Sorrentos

Surprisingly good little pizza here. Saved us from starving due to the horrible tasteless food on other venues.

We don’t use the pools or hot tubs. We don’t rock climb or play video games. Nothing to declare here.

Two70

Very nice venue, lots of technology but nothing put of this world as they claim. Tv Monitors that get moved around by robots... ok. So what? They make it sound like its gona blow your mind. I found it boring. Maybe computer geeks will appreciate it bit for the common folk nothing out of the ordinary. Spectras Cabaret was ok. But just another musical with people dangling from ropes and the robots moving monitors back and fourth. Again, nothing out of the ordinary.

The Royal Theater

The Gift was the worst play I have ever seen in my life. Absolutely horrible. We will rock you on the other hand was awesome! The 2 comedians were also very enjoyable!

The staff on Adventure of the seas were polite and friendly always greeting you etc The staff on this Anthem of the seas not so friendly. Most of them looked pissed off and I saw on many different instances them ignoring a customer making believe they didn’t see nor hear the customer call or ask a question. Waiters would serve people sitting next to me but not ask me if I wanted something even when making gesture waving at them to get their attention. Many times ignored. When mentioning this to our room service guy he confirmed that most of the crew were discontent with being in Anthem of the Seas and were trying to goto another ship. He said to me many of my complaints were the same from other cruisers.

Very nice stateroom. Had a giant tv monitor on the wall showing view of the rear of the ship. Weather it had that or not didn’t matter to us. The only time we were in our room was to shower and sleep. No other reason to be in there.

Ports of call

King's Wharf, Bermuda

Loved bermuda. Never bought a shore excursion and never will. It’s a complete rip off. 1st day we walked around, took a ferry and a couple local bus ride. Way cheaper that a cab. Their taxi rates were astronomical, absurdly expensive. Rented a scooter the second day, rode around and went to a little beach we found by walking around the 1st day and there nobody there but us. Amazing little beach. Hit two local restaurants to sample their staple fish sandwich. Restaurant Litt was in Hamilton and restaurant Woodys was about a mile from the port. If ai could have done it differently I would’ve rented the scooter on the first day being a full day and walked on the second since it wasn’t a full day.

Cape Liberty (Bayonne), New Jersey

To me not a port of call but homeport. The port is new, clean and easy to navigate.

Disembarkation

Never again will I put our luggage outside our stateroom the night before and go sit somewhere for 2 to 3 hours. This cruise We carried our own and walked right out of the ship. We were one of the 1st ones.