Anthem of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Great time overall, some things could use improvement

Sail Date: December 19, 2015

The good:

Very smooth check in and check out experience.

Beautiful ship, very clean.

Itinerary was perfect for us. Given that my wife was pregnant, and we had a one yr old with us, we didn’t need to be in the hot sun by the pool all day so didn’t mind the cooler temperatures at beginning and end of cruise.  That said, it was not nearly as cold as I expected for those days….quite surprising.

Stateroom was nicer than previous experience (Explorer and Serenade), little bit more space, little bit better design for bathroom.

Sky diving simulator was pretty awesome.

The bad:

Found the overall attitude of the staff to be very poor.  There were a few exceptions, but from the moment we boarded people were short, seemed genuinely unhappy to be there, and seemed to take it out on the guests.  At first I thought maybe it was just one or two people who woke up on the wrong side of the bed, but as time passed I am guessing it was a systemic issue…. maybe RC was not treating their staff well?  Regardless, very disappointing.

Bit of a tough pill to swallow when we pay almost full price for an infant who does not require an extra stateroom, much food, etc, only to discover that so many things are off limit for babies.  Why can’t a baby go in the North Star? The solarium? The pools?  If you’re going to have that many restrictions then you should not be charging so much.  Most all inclusives, airlines as examples, do not charge a cent for children under 2.

One thing I always enjoyed about the other RC ships I was on was the sushi every night in the Windjammer, they took that away and you had to pay extra.

Also I always really enjoyed using the sauna, change room with more spacious showers, hot tub, steam room etc in men’s change room.  All of this was also gone – apparently available for an extra fee in the Spa, but when I asked to see it, they brought me to some tiny change room with nothing but a couple lockers.  Very strange.

The noteworthy:

Definitely felt the boat moving way more than previous cruises, didn’t really bother me, but could bother those who are averse to this.  Someone mentioned that the Anthem is a bit “thinner” for a ship its size which causes you to feel the swaying more…..not sure if this is true.

Overall, we are satisfied b/c we got a very good price on our cabins, but if we paid the price that most people paid it might be a different story.  I don’t think I will look to sail on this ship again.

1 Comment