Amsterdam Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

Beware of Holland America tipping policy

Sail Date: August 01, 2012

Our biggest disappointment was the service charge automatically added to our bill. It was $11.50 per person, per day. For a 14-day cruise for me and my husband it was a whopping $322 for staff tips. I actually really liked most of the staff, and was happy to tip them, but dear Holland America, please allow US to decide who to tip and how generous to be.

Pros: Ports of call

Cons: Food on board\, tipping policy

Recommends Amsterdam? No.

Ship looks old and outdated\, but I must say everything is very very clean.
Food is beautifully presented\, but very bland. Overall very disappointing. Usually people gain weight on cruise ships\, we probably lost some...
Room is small\, given it's a boat\, but very clean. Bedding was itchy\, and I am not overly sensitive about this. Soap dispenser was broken\, so we had to use shampoo as a body wash.
All the staterooms\, bars and restaurants staff was extremely friendly and did their very best to satisfy our every need. Young ladies at the SPA unfortunately did not. Receptionist ignored my wish to get the treatment later in the afternoon and instead booked me for 8 am even though afternoon time slots were available. Shopping ambassador was a creepy guy advising people about diamond deals ashore. Why would we go to Alaska to buy diamonds?? Handcrafted native arts - sure... but diamonds??
Went to see 5-6 shows and they were quite good overall. Some really great. Information about daily activities was easy to find.