Amsterdam Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

Our First Fabulous Cruise!

Sail Date: July 04, 2008

Our recent voyage on the ms Amsterdam (return trip from San Diego to Glacier Bay) was our first. My parents have traveled many times with Holland America and recommended them. We were impressed with the speed with which we were checked in dockside.

Pros: The staff, size of ship, dining, and our cabin

Cons: Fire drill

Recommends Amsterdam? Yes!

There was quite a variety of entertainment on board. We took in the magician, comedian, revue, and the staff night (which was quite fun). One of the lounges has a good Mexican band playing. As I live in Mexico, it was like being at home. My fiance likes to dance....so, we usually ended the evening kicking up our heels.
As we do not have young children, we very much appreciated that the ones on board seemed to always be occupied and mindful of the "older" passengers. A couple at our dinner table had a 15 yr. old, whom we never saw. According to the parents, he was in the Teen Club from the moment he got on the ship and was having a great time.
We loved the size of the ship and that it never felt overcrowded. There were some children and teens however they always seemed to be occupied in some activity or other. We found the decor pleasing and very clean. Our cabin was spotless. All areas of the ship were easily accessed. We especially chuckled when we saw that we didn't need to remember which day of the week it was as the carpets in the elevators were changed daily and indicated it was Monday, etc.!
We chose to have fixed seating in the main dining room. Our table for 6 by the window gave us an incredible view of the ocean or where we had just traveled. As it was my fiance's birthday on one night, we chose to eat in the Pinnacle Grill.....truly an exceptional experience. Our wine steward from the main dining room even sent our wine over to the Pinnacle. We can't say enough about the service from our stewards and wine steward. Each day, we chose to have breakfast in our cabin. It was always delivered promptly and piping hot. During the day, we normally ate in the Lido restaurant. Even there, my tray was usually whisked from my hands and carried to a table.
We loved our stateroom as it was spacious, had a great big window, lots of storage space and everything that you could ask for. We didn't even have enough clothing to fill all of the storage areas! The bed was wonderfully comfortable. With twice daily service and turndown service, what more could a person ask for. Our room steward always had a beaming smile.
Our wine steward definitely went above and beyond. He quickly discovered that we loved to try different wines. We had purchased the wine package of 7 bottles (one for each night of our cruise). Rather than our choosing the wines, we opted to have him select for us...and he did a superb job. We were very impressed when he sent our wine over to the Pinnacle Grill on my fiance's special day. The other staff member that we commend is our room steward. As mentioned previously, he was always beaming. He never failed to ask us how we were enjoying our day or complimenting us when we were in formal dress. I sure hope both of these fellows will be on our next cruise.
Sitka, Alaska
We did not disembark in Sitka as it was by tender and it was pouring rain. We opted to stay dry and have a nice quiet day on board.
Juneau, Alaska
We also enjoyed just walking around Juneau (even in the rain). Loved shopping in the jewelry stores! We also went on the Tram. It was interesting to see Juneau from high above the pier.
Don't Miss: Shopping!
Ketchikan, Alaska
Keitchikan is not much fun in the rain. We did go on a city tour, however I wouldn't do it again. Perhaps it was because of the weather. Of course we did some more jewelry shopping.
Victoria, British Columbia
As I used to live in Victoria for many years, and a lot of my family still do, we spent the time in port meeting with them at a local restaurant for dinner. It was fun to have them meet us at the ship.
Don't Miss: Burchart Gardens, walk through the Empress Hotel, walk around the Inner Harbour, the Provincial Museum.