Allure is a great ship!

Allure of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Cruises: 4-6 cruises

Overall rating:

Allure of the Seas

7 Night Eastern Caribbean (Miami Roundtrip)

Sail date: December 02, 2018

Ship: Allure of the Seas

Cabin type: Suite

Cabin number: 9260

Traveled as: Couple

Review summary

The cruise was every thing we expected and more! Lots to do.

Embarkation

We were in a Grand Suite so for embarkation we were taken to a special area. It was quick, easy and we were on board in minutes.

Ship experiences

Because we were in a Suite and had breakfast, lunch and dinner access to Coastal Kitchen, we didn't go to the main dining room. Coastal Kitchen doesn't have a huge variety but the food was always excellent. We went to the Windjammer a couple of times and was disappointed compared to Windjammer experiences in the past on Serenade. Didn't do specialty restaurants, but did lunch at Johnny Rockets. As good as a land-based JR location. We ate pizza at Sorrento's which was good and so nice to just walk up and get some slices. Thrilled having a Starbucks on board to get my Java Chip Frappuccinos.

Windjammer Marketplace

I wasn't as impressed with the Windjammer on this Allure cruise. Windjammer on previous cruises on the Serenade was awesome.

Starbucks

Love, love, love having a regular Starbucks for my daily Frappuccino.

Sorrento's Pizza

Pizza was good. Great to walk up and grab a few slices.

Johnny Rockets

Just like a regular Johnny Rockets. Good food, great milkshakes.

Candy Beach

Lots of candy options :-)

There is so much to do on the ship it is impossible to list everything. We only scratched the surface and didn't see and do everything. This is definitely a 2 cruise ship to truly enjoy it all. Very fun to have a carousel and ice skating rink on the ship.

Vitality at Sea Spa

Had my hair cut and highlighted there. Awesome job, and cheaper than would have cost at home.

Solarium

Just a quiet, relaxing area.

Regalia

Beautiful jewelry and selection, but of course very expensive.

Flowrider

Great. My husband thoroughly enjoyed it.

Center Ice Rink

Ice conditions weren't great for those of us who know how to ice skate, but it was still cool having a rink on the boat.

Casino Royale

It helps that they have a dedicated non-smoking side, but still that entire area of the boat is smoky.

Carousel

Nothing like a good old fashioned carousel to jump on regardless of your age.

OceanAria in the Aqua Theatre is an incredible, must see show. I wasn't thrilled with Mamma Mia but then I wasn't before we went on the ship either so it definitely wasn't the performance as those folks were great. BluePlanet was also amazing. The 2 stand up comedians were hilarious if you're not easily offended. The headliner showcase was a group called The Long Run (Eagles cover band). The musicians were amazing; singing not so much. Music generally around the ship, DJs, pianist, etc... were all great with a huge variety of music played.

Theater

Nice theatre, great sound acoustics, comfortable seating.

Studio B

Great little venue. Went to the game show The Quest there which was hilarious! Also it is the location for the Ice Skating rink.

Concierge Lounge

It has me spoiled. Now I only want to get a Suite and above.

Central Park

Just a great place to relax.

Aqua Theater

Great venue! Amazing what they do with the pool platforms.

Our room steward, Franklin, was awesome! Any request I had he was right on top of it. Wait staff was a little slow at times, even when not fully crowded, but still good/friendly. Some bartenders were great, especially in the Suite Lounge, but not always in other areas of the ship. Just going through the motions.

Ship tip

Don't set your expectations so high that you'll get to see and do everything on the ship. It is so big and there is so much to do that you'll run yourself ragged rather than just relax some and enjoy the ship.

Ports of call

Philipsburg, St. Maarten

I took a Bernards tour of both sides of the island. The tour company was great. While the water and some beach area are beautiful, the island is still so devastated from Hurricane Irma. That said, this island depends 100% on tourism that visiting helps their economy.

San Juan, Puerto Rico

I've been to Puerto Rico many times, not just from cruising and it is great. We just walked off the boat and walked around in Old San Juan, but having been before you can't go wrong on the tours that are offered.

Labadee (Cruise Line Private Island)

Since we were Suite guests, we spent our time on the Suite exclusive Barefoot Beach. Although costly, we had a Hilltop cabana and it was an amazing, relaxing perk. RC provided a great buffet for Barefoot Beach visitors.

Disembarkation

Getting off the ship was quick and easy. The issue came once we walked out the doors it was just chaos. No clear directions on where to go to get taxis, taxi line took 45 minutes and people were jumping/skipping in front of people, it was a mess.