This ship needs major repairs!!!

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

Cruises: 4-6 cruises

Overall rating:

Adventure of the Seas

7 Night Southern Caribbean (San Juan Roundtrip)

Sail date: November 18, 2017

Ship: Adventure of the Seas

Cabin type: Suite

Cabin number: 9298

Traveled as: Couple

Review summary

Although we made the best of our vacation by focusing on the Islands and excursions, we were really disappointed in the service and the disrepair of Adventure of the Seas. I would recommend a different cruise line to family and friends. It’s really a shame as we were Gold members before this cruise and now should be at a higher loyalty. I just can’t see us back on RCCL unless they really shape up!!

Embarkation

The signs to meet the RCCL crew for transfers was non existent. Luckily someone heard me talking about where we needed to go and gave me directions. Once we got there, the sign was facing the wrong way, so the arrow was pointing us in the wrong direction. We were finally able to find someone from RCCL. Then we waited for about half an hour, had to leave our luggage on a sidewalk by a huge rental truck and follow a RCCL person to a small transport shuttle. Leaving our luggage on the sidewalk did not set well with any of us. Thank goodness nothing was missing and they didn’t lose ours, but I know at least two people had theirs go missing.

Ship experiences

The food was mediocre. Nothing you can’t get at a buffet style restaurant. I expected more from RCCL. The actual buffet was not good at all. Dried out meat, greasy pasta. Just not good! When you have to go to Johnny Rockets and pay extra for lunch to get a decent meal, something is just not right.

The games were fun to participate in.

Day Spa and Fitness Center

The actual spa services were top notch, from the massage to getting my hair done. The only issue was during the massage you could hear doors slamming and loud talking.

The shows were pretty lame. Not sure what happened to this cruise line, but the shows used to be fantastic!

I wish I could give this more stars, however the staff was not consistent in being professional and friendly and some were just unsmiling and not helpful at all. We did find two amazing guys and their supervisor in the dining room. Adam and Made from Indonesia! Without these guys and their supervisor and a couple of reservations guys and woman for the dining room, our experience wouldn’t have been great. And although our room attendant was nice, he was very difficult to understand. He did a great job. Too had the rest of the staff wasn’t this great.

I’m used to seeing people cleaning the hallway banisters elevators, etc all day on RCCL. I guess they don’t do this anymore. The hallways had a musty, moldy smell, and the elevators were not clean. I’m so disappointed that this cruise line has gone downhill!!

The size of the room and balcony were fine, however we found someone’s shoe under the bed when we tried to store one of our suitcases. We also found an old bent hair pin on the floor. The bathroom tile had mold on it and was rusted in areas, as well as the bathroom cabinets. The furniture and carpet were worn, not to mention the sheets and towels were threadbare.

Ship tip

I would say don’t go on this ship. There was rust and rot under banisters on decks, there was an exposed electrical wire on the bridge due to a pipe being rusted through. This ship is a hazard and needs major work. You can tell it’s worn out just by looking at it. My first glimpse of this ship made me cringe.

Ports of call

San Juan, Puerto Rico Did not visit port

Because it is not being used as a port of call.

Basseterre, St. Kitts

Our excursion was awesome. We swam with the dolphins. So amazing! I would definitely do this again. I feel badly for the locals there. It seems like they need a lot of help. They were very friendly!!

St. John's, Antigua

The people were friendly and we did a dune buggy ride. Very fun and learned lots of history. The only drawback was only 25 minutes at the beach. We also wanted to do some shopping, and our time was short. I would’ve loved to spend more time on the beautiful beach! We ate at Hemingway’s Caribbean Geill for lunch. They prepare everything fresh so prepare to wait a bit. The key lime pie was awesome and my husband loved the coconut cream pie.

Fort-De-France, Martinique

We took a water taxi to the beach. The people on this island speak either only French(dialect) or a little English. We tried our best with Siri and some high school French. We had a few good experiences with locals, but mostly the people were not friendly. You would think they would try since a lot of their income comes from tourists. It’s not an Island I would go back to or recommend. There was a great little bakery up the street from the beach. I wish I could remember the name. Had the best quiche for breakfast and a fresh chocolate croissant. It’s at the top of the hill from the boardwalk the water taxi drops you off at.

Castries, St. Lucia

Loved St Lucia. Took a cab to the beach. The only part about this I didn’t like were the pushy locals trying to sell stuff. I just wanted to take in the beautiful beach and relax. I know it’s how they make their money, but no thank you once should suffice.

Bridgetown, Barbados

This was my favorite port. We learned so much history. We visited Harrison cave by excursion. The bus took us to the highest point and best view of the Atlantic afterwards. Absolutely beautiful. The people were very friendly. We did some shopping and went to the beach via taxi. They only charged us $10 each way. When I tipped the driver $10 for taking us to the beach, he waited for us until we were done and returned us to the port. He also gave us a history lesson! Very cool. We ate cod fritters at a little outdoor cafe at the port. It’s around the back side where all the taxis are. The bar out front was packed, but this little place was awesome.

Disembarkation

The line for customs is in the middle of the room. The luggage section numbers are around the perimeter. The set up is very poor with luggage getting left in the aisles and people tripping over it trying to find the beginning of the customs line. Again our luggage was loaded on big trucks and we were sent separately from our luggage to the terminal. We were required to stand for half an hour while the entire truck was emptied by two guys. They would not let us take our luggage until the entire truck was empty. I’ll definitely not leave out of this port again.