Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

mixed feelings

Sail Date: March 01, 2009

Traveled As: Family w/young children

Room Type: Suite

Overall this was an ok cruise ship. it had lots of options for single people and good service. It is not good for kids under 10. The concierge service makes a huge difference, so I wouldn't sail this ship without booking a suite, or I'd not give it as high of a rating.

Pros: concierge service

Cons: Kids program

Recommends Adventure of the Seas? No.

Not good. Zero security. I was checking my daughter out of the 6-8 year old area - a kid came running out chasing a ball that got away from him. No one even saw him leave. The activities - basic party games. No effort for 75% of them. Didn't even follow their own schedule. One day they were supposed to have an ice cream snack. They didn't. Hide and seek in a place one day - they changed the place and didn't publicize it. The games one day turned into free play. They advertize "Crayola" like crazy, but the crafts they do are nothing special - just construction paper and crayons for the most part. They were to make Crayola kites one day. It was black construction paper, colored with crayons - no support sticks, not even a string - you couldn't fly it, that's for sure. Staff were almost rude at times. It was basically babysitting, not an organized kids program. My daughter wouldn't LEAVE the kids area on Disney's boat last year. this yeaar? barely wanted to go
Overall the ship was very nice. There is however some type of air conditioning problema or something. My daughter's allergies were the worse they have ever been - would start to clear up if we left the ship. Several crew members said they have the same issue, so they know about it and just chose now to solve the problem. So, for anyone with allergies, I'd pick another ship (and probably NOT in this same class - probably the same issue on all of them built that way). Their process to get on and off the ship is pretty good - fast for a ship that size. I'm used to everthing around here in Florida being nonsmoking, so sometimes the smoking got annoying - hard to find evening entertainment that was nonsmoking. Adult pool area was very clean and very very nice. Restrooms are somewhat hidden in public areas.
Staff around the ship were great. Staff at the front desk were clueless and acted like it was their frist day regardless of your question. Concierge was really good - service in the lounge was top notch. DO NOT do the luggage valet. You'll have to stand in line at the airport, but you'll likely have your bag that day then. I got back to Florida at 7 pm yesterday. Two of my bags MAY be arriving this morning. One ended up in Ohio with my sister - they put her tag on my bag. And one of hers is MIA - not sure if we'll ever find it - we don't know which tag got put on it, so we can't search for it! They totally didn't follow their own form they had us fill out - they just throw tags on bags and move them - and our flight didn't leave San Juan until 1 - we left the boat at 8:30 - they couldn't get the bags to the airport in 4 1/2 hours? I basically paid $20 a person to avoid one line at the airport, but now I'm stuck at home today waiting on suitcases, which may or may not arrive.
There were lots of choices if you are a teenage kid or a big drinker. But at the days at sea, I actually was LOOKING for something to do! Once we were done ice skating and roller blading, my only choices were really a spa seminar or a movie. I did a lot of sitting around and drinking - which may be what most people want to do. But after 5 days, I was a little bored. In previous cruises I felt I had to pick in choose - this time I didn't really like any of the choices most of the time. There are not enough open skate times for ice skating - was hoping to do that in the afternoon after a 1/2 day shore excursion - they don't open a lot of stuff on port days (like roller blading). Usually I find one port I don't care much for and enjoy the lower crowds on the ship that day - they pretty much force you to leave, as there's nothing really to do buy sit around and drink if you stay. St. John island tour - basically a couple overlooks and then a tour of the driver's cousins' giftshops
The food choices were abundant. The buffet restaurant had great crowd flow. Never stood in line. The sit down restaurant was ok - RC cannot do beef well though - stick with fish or plain chicken. Portofino's was very very good - should have booked that twice. If you are in a suite, you can grab buffet breakfast or lunch and eat it in Portofino's (the specialty dining room), and you normally have the whole place to yourself, like a private dining room. nice perk.
We had a royal family suite and liked it very much. Wish it were closer to the stairs though. If you forgot something, it was a haul to get back and grab it. I have a bad back, and the bed was very comfortable to me. Our balcony was very large as was a suite. Lots of storage so you could unpack everything you'd ever want to bring.