May 2016 - Norwegian Spirit to Europe - Mediterranean
Would I recommend this cruise? In short ,Yes! Why? Price, accommodations and port of calls. This cruise ship was a great way to visit fun places in a short period of time while having a place to go home every night. You must keep in mind that you are given about 8 to 9 hours to visit the cities and points of interest, so you find yourself running like crazy. On this trip, I wish there would had been more time at Mykonos, Rome, Naples and/or Pisa/Florence and this could had been done if the cruise line would had skipped Toulon, though a nice little town, not the best way to impress your guest. Yet again, given that most guest were older (over 50) a stroll in a small town works just fine.
Tip of advice to those that won't take the tours with the cruise line:
- Go online and pick the places you want to visit at each city
- Search and plan the train schedules that you will use in each city you visit
- Find the best and fastest way to get to and from the port to your point of interest
- Hop - On - Hop Off types of excursions work best t if you want to take pictures from outside the venues
- No time for long museum visits - you miss a lot if you do, save it for when you visit just one city for multiple days
- Get a SIM card for your cell phone so that you can use Google map to get around - get info from your cell phone provider
- Carry some cash for last minute taxi rides
We dinned in at one of their restaurant only 4 times, servers were prompt and courteous. Food was good and provided many options.
Most of the trip we decided to eat from the buffet at upper deck because we returned late from the excursions. The buffet provided plenty of options to choose from and stayed open a little late. The food was very good and always fresh.
Plenty of options: wines, liquors, and if you are an american beer drinker then you are for a treat, order a six pack of Coors Light as the bottles are the 16 oz, rather than the 12 oz on all other beers, this will get you more for your money, but if Coors is not your beer then of course they have many more options.
We had a room with a window and it was spacious for the two of us. It was very quite and the A/C worked just fine, no issues. The bathroom had a sliding door separating the toilet from the rest of the restroom (keep in mind that his might be the standard for the highest price room but not expected for the $699 package that we paid for). The closet had more than enough space for our clothes, yet we only travel with two small carry on bags but it should be good for 2 big bags.
The night shows were good and fun to watch from magic shows to comedian to aerial performances.
I wish they would have had events/games/group dancing in the pool deck as we had great weather throughout the trip.
In summary, great value for the price, good food, entertainment, and nice ports.