June 2016 - 7 Night Alaska Tracy Arm Fjord (Seattle Roundtrip) Cruise on Celebrity Solstice
Review of Trip
There were several excellent things about the ship and its crew. Here they are:
1. Cruise visit to the glacier was highlight of the trip with spectacular views of the mountains, ice and glacier.
2. Coffee shop staff were tremendous. They were friendly, courteous and never failed to give guests their undivided attention even during busy times.
3. The speciality restaurants were fantastic. The good in all three were gourmet. We had never gone to them before due to cost, but now we will definitely include at least one or may be two dinners. The waiter named Wid in the Asian Fusion restaurant was particularly helpful in explaining the various choices and delicious alternatives.
4. Breakfasts on Deck 14 were good and fast. We particularly commend the waiter/bus boy named Rabinger. He was always there to give us extra service and coffee. He had a pleasant demeanor and you could always hear him approach with his "happy, happy" encore.
5. The one show that was outstanding and deserved kudos was the one dedicated to Whitney Houston. We don't recall the name of the absolutely fantastic singer, but she is to be commended and given a show of her own.
6. Getting on/getting off the ship was very easy and customs was a breeze.
7. The shows given by the naturalist were terrific and should be continued.
Poor things about the cruise
1. The shows, especially "Amade" were dreadful. Though we appreciated the very talented acrobats and dancers, the singers for the most part were mediocre (except for the one that sang at the Whitney Houston show). The males, in particular, were marginal at best. The entire concept of the show Amade should be scrapped or reworked. No one we spoke to understood the story line or what the purpose of the show was about. We did like the comedian and the men's quartet. The men's quintet was good but not excellent. Unfortunately, the lead tenor was slightly sharp whenever he sang thus throwing off the entire song. Having gone on over 25 cruises, I rarely criticize the shows on ships. However, I thought I would give you my unbiased thoughts on these productions. Hopefully, the next cruise on a Celebrity ship will provide better entertainment.
On a final note, we found the captain of the ship to be extremely welcoming and fun to listen to. His willingness to be part of the shows and to graciously give of his time to be with the guests earned my respect and gratitude.