What do you do?

We have been to Grand Turk Island about 5 times. It has become our favorite inhabited island. So much that we would like to retire there. 
We have gone swimming with stingrays, done the helicopter tour, the dune buggies twice, Margaritaville, went walking around the cruise center, went swimming in the crystal clear water, and now our favorite go to place is just 500 yards down the beach. It's Jack's Shack. Great food, great owners and great dogs. 
My question is, when you go there, what do you do and do you like this port?

Tags: Caribbean Grand Turk Island

22 Answers

Grand Turk is on my list of places to go on one of my next cuises

Me too!

It's an OK port.  I tend to prefer St Maarten for the bars,  food and areas to walk around.

I did enjoy Grand Turk, as well as St Maarten as port calls, but as idyllic as it sounds for a retirement place, I think I would think twice about hurricanes and cost of living.

I haven't been there yet.

I have not been there yet either. I don't really see us going  to the area. We may pass through when we going to Panama, but from what my son tells me, most of those cruises going through the area are short 5 day runs that are in a new port every morning. A little too hectic for me.

John,  you can do a 7  night cruise with just 3 ports on most lines.   They do have a lot of the 4 and 5 night cruises but those are the more party cruises.  Last year I did the 7 night on the Carnival Glory and had a great time with only 3 ports.

Last year took the Carnival Sunshine through 4 ports from Orlando including St Maarten, Grand Turk, St Thomas and San Juan. Two sea days on the start and one at the end.

We visited Grand Turk one time and really liked it (Actually twice if we count a medical emergency stop there in the middle of the night last January, but nobody got off except the patient). The only time we really were there was when we stopped for a night and day before heading off across the pond and doing an almost 3 month circumnavigation of Africa on the Prinsedam in 2008. We took a day tour of the island which I really enjoyed, a lot of history associated with that island. Only recently has the island became a cruise ship haunt and that was due to efforts by the Carnival Corp. Prior to that the island economy was mired in a recession every since the salt trade disappeared due to the advent of refrigeration. But before that, salt made the island one of the most prosperous in the Caribbean. Only two ships can fit into the pier at once, and Carnival Cruise line has developed attractions near the pier for their guests. We docked late in the afternoon and were the only ship in port. But when we awoke in the morning a wall was on the opposite side of the narrow pier from us, The Carnival Triumph, with a booze cruise crowd out of Galveston. Since the island is relatively small I thought the land excursions were going to be all messed up due to the huge influx. As it turned out the party crowd stuck around their ship and port area and really got with it. While those of us on the shore excursions had a wonderful time.  I would like to visit the island again and take the same excursion. Hopefully miss the Spring Break revellers this time though.  

Kennicott, sounds very informative and interesting. 

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.