What $434 million buys today

An exact replica of the Titanic that will sail in 2018.  When you consider it won't have many of the amenities we are accustomed to, I can't imagine this being a successful venture. A fad maybe.  And when you factor in class cabins and dining, I mean really, would you want to say you sailed on a replica of a famous ship, but were relegated to third class because of the cost ?   

It's maiden voyage will be from China to Dubai.  I don't know where she is being built, but I will say this......if she is being built in China, with Chinese steel, well, the second Titanic may suffer the same fate as the first.   Why do I say this ?  I was on one job that got its steel girders from China.  Upon testing, many were found to be substandard and couldn't be used.     In another instance, a crane was sent to China to be repaired. Well, the welds broke one day, the whole house fell off the tower, killing the operators.   But, like I said, I don't know where she is being built.  But I am reasonably sure I won't be able to afford first or second class.  Well, maybe second if I don't have to pay air fare.

None of this is meant to be racist or anti Asian in any sense, so please don't take it that way.  It's just an opinion based on an article that is currently running on Yahoo news.  I stand behind my 1st amendment rights, oops.  We covered that didn't we ?

3 Answers

It is interesting that it will cost 434 M to build the new Titanic from scratch and Crystal Cruise line is suggesting 700 M to rebuild the SS United States (that is already gutted).  We know that the structure of the SS United States was built here in the USA post WWII.  She will be fit out to be in the Crystal Cruise line fleet and only hold I think 800 guest.  She will be a first class ship again if Crystal goes through with the project.

NCL had owned her but decided not to rehab her and sold her off.  I'm glad that Crystal is getting her so she can return to a world class ocean liner and not be in a lower level cruise line.  Crystal also said they would keep her the fastest ocean liner in the world (when she was built she took the transatlantic speed record from the Queen Marry).  It was mentioned in an article that to dock her in Philadelphia is costing $ 60,000.00 a month. 

Between the Titanic II and the SSUS I'd rather cruise on the SSUS.  A ship of history for good things not bad, a ship that is the pride in the USA,  she was build for peace time but also intended to convert into a troop carrier to get our troops where they are needed faster then any other ship in the world.

I believe that the Titanic II will simply be a short-term project. After all the hype has worn off, most cruisers will return to the modern era.

I agree,  it will be a ship that people go on one time just to do it,  but not a lot of return cruisers,   a one shot wounder.

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.