Voyaging when you arrange most of it yourself---Following the 1879 footsteps of John Muir.

Here is an excellent article about "Do It Yourself (DIY)" voyaging, mainly using the Alaska Marine Highway System. We have used the State ferries a lot in the past, I once called them my "Poor Man's Cruise", Haw. A lot of excellent pictures go along with this story, albeit all in the Southeast (Panhandle) portion of our State.

"The story attempts to follow the footsteps of writer John Muir in 1879 when he first visited Alaska’s Inside Passage, which was the seafaring route through the densely islanded panhandle of America’s northernmost territory. Muir eventually founded the Sierra Club and was a huge supporter of our first national parks."
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/21/travel/alaska-inside-passage-john-muir-ferries.html?hpw&rref=travel&action=click&pgtype=H omepage&module=well-region®ion=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well

4 Answers

Nice article.  Thanks for the post.

Oops. Sorry.

I was thinking The Ghost and Mrs. Muir

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.