Safety

On most boats I have been on the deck is slippery, is this the case with a Big cruise ship?

7 Answers

In most cases that I am aware of, the exterior decks are wood - not too slippery. Some of the exterior is also textured metal, so not slippery.

The inside decks, where not carpeted, are tile or other (vinyl?) floor covering - can be very slippery when wet.

Be careful when going from the pool to the lido buffet.

Thanks BDRebel we will need to advise our children to be careful.

The open decks can and do get slippery when wet.  It is a moving vessel and therefore caution should be used throughout the ship.  It is easy to forget to hold the railings when going down the stairs.  Mostly, there are no problems ... it is always a good idea to be careful and remember there are often older folks on the ship that may be less sure footed and slow. I would advise your children to go carefully around them, often children forget that others are not as agile as they are.Happy

When the ship is moving if the deck is wet and a tad slippery that is only half of the walking equation ... always factor in the wind because a ship travelling at 20 kt will have at least that strong a wind and frequently more. Usually if the deck is wet and slippery most ships will have signage indicating that but not always

good points

Slippery when wet for sure. You have rails to hold plus you can buy slip resistant shoes.

Don't need em if you're sitting at a bar during weather, which is where you belong. I have a souvenir of a cruise where the outside decks were "closed due to strong winds"...the sign blew off the door and I found it..possession is 9/10's etc..

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.