On my cruise this past week on Majesty of the Seas, I went to the Captain's Q&A Session, and had inquired about Royal Caribbean's current top secret project. His answer in front of everyone was a definitive "NO, I cannot discuss any further details" However, when speaking to him after he did confirm and deny a few different things:
- "Icon" ships will run on Liquefied Natural Gas, and Fuel Cell Technology
- Massive upgrades will need to be made at Ports of origin, and possibly at ports of call to accommodate refueling of these vessels.
- Will be larger than the Quantum and Quantum Plus ships
- Both are scheduled for the 2nd quarter, and will be delivered in 2022, and 2024
- Gross tonnage will be in the 200,000 - 230,000, placing the new group in-line with the Oasis Class.(depending on where you find information, leaks from the shipyard place them at 200,500 tonnes and 230,000 tonnes, so this could possibly go in the truths section)
Other than that, this is about as far as the Captain claimed to know.
Through other research, and extrapolation of provided information, I have also developed a theory of my own:
Royal Caribbean is using the "Project Icon" title to keep everyone in the dark, and the new ships will not be a new class, but a "Oasis Plus" class, powered by LNG and Fuel Cell technology.
Anyone else have any thoughts or feelings?