Room service

Im doing this in a separate thread becuz Id really like some opines...We ALWAYS have a breakfast cart delivered to our room first thing in the am...6am....(((no comments pls, old, stupid habits are hard to break))))  couple pots of coffee, danishes, fruit compotes...out on the balcony...just turrible...y'all know the drill....and  its free....this is NOT a hot meal, and in a couple hours after a lot of scratching stretching and yawning...we head out to a real brkfst...not the buffet thankyou, there are way better choices...(and a lot quieter)...my question is, considering a couple of other threads and comments re tipping....the people who push that cart to your room....I have never tipped em…it may never be the same person twice....what dyou think???

24 Answers

This is exciting..NOT..got an email with your response (most of it anyway...click here to respond etc....your response isn't in the thread...all I see is the phrase "1 ANSWER"...…..but no text....the latest glitch?  anyway yeh I always took that particular service to be "included"....cant make up my mind if I feel guilty about it....no $$, $2, $5...?? silly isn't it??? bet I know what the answer will be...if I can actually read any of em...has something to do with conscience....(btw, now it says "2 answers" but yours is not there...)

Well I think it should be like anything else. Any tip would be dependant on the service. If ou feel compelled to tip then a single for average, none for below and more for above depending on the service level.

Would you tip room service in a hotel ?? How is this any different?

yes I would, but they aren't adding 18% to the room charge are they?

We always order coffee and fruit and have it around 6:30 am - we are early risers too, and we always tip $2 or $3. 

For the complimentary room service, like the breakfast you mention, those personnel are supposed to be included in your automatic daily gratuity charges. However, for those that bring items like liquor or water to your cabin a 15% gratuity is added on to the tab. I'm not saying this is adequate so sometimes we add extra to that for some of the staff.  I like the all encompassing charges though, due it helps out those working behind the scenes for your comfort who one never gets to know or see.        

"To simplify the tipping process for our guests, a discretionary gratuity of $15.50 per guest for suites, $14.50 per guest for mini-suites and club class, and $13.50 per guest for interior, oceanview, and balcony staterooms. This gratuity will be shared amongst those staff who help provide and support your cruise experience, including all waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, and housekeeping staff across the fleet.

A 15% gratuity is added to bar charges, dining room wine accounts, and Lotus Spa® services. This is shared amongst the beverage staff, their support staff and Lotus Spa® personnel." 

We always tip, usually $1 per plate--that's a recommendation I read on another forum.

My personal feeling is that I am asking someone to do extra work on my behalf so I wouldn't feel right not showing my appreciation.

We always tip for the times we order room service.

Well. I don't know if bringing that cart is "extra work"...seems to me it IS their job, or part of it anyway...having said that, think I'll start throwing $2 on the cart...it'll make me feel better.....and I can blame y'all...where do I send the bill?? hehehehhehe

For something like that (which I have done often) I usually tip $2 or $3 dollars.

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.