Passport or Other Documents?

I just noticed that my passport expired. My cruise isn't until May but I don't know if I should try to get a new passport or just use my driver's license and birth certificate? Please help....I am not sure what to do.

14 Answers

Kennicott That sounds like a nightmare!!!

I'd get the passport renewed. For a little more you can have it expedited and be ready to go with no worries.

My personal rule is that, anytime I leave the country, I have my passport with me. I also always get travel insurance when taking a cruise. (But, I also travel weekly for work, and have seen just about every manner of thing that can go wrong.) Your level of risk aversion/acceptance may be different from mine.

In your case, though, where both your passport has expired AND your name has changed, IMHO it is much easier and less-stressful to deal with those changes as part of the passport renewal process, rather than revisiting it (with DL, birth certificate, marriage license) at the airport, cruise embarkation, and potentially every cruise port.

Just get a renewed passport with your current name, make sure the cruise booking reflects the name change, and then enjoy your cruise, stress- and worry-free.

I bring my passport on every trip, regardless of where I'm going. That way, there's no issues going through Customs.

* is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. is not responsible for content on external web sites.