Passport

Can you take a copy of your passport on port, and leave the passport book in safe on ship? Or is it best to take passport book when going to the ports?

Thank you all for helpful hints. Happy

12 Answers

Well, if you get left behind, it will help the Consulate expedite a new one to get home.  Other than that, it serves no purpose.  We bring the book.  Get a passport holder you wear around your neck.   Ours is from Maxpedition.com.   

Thanks... We just got the passport holder that goes around the neck. Just heard some cruisers take just a copy on port. BUT, I'd rather be safe, not a risk taker in that department. lol lol

It is a risk we are willing to take.  We leave the passport and take a copy.  It is probably better to have the real deal if you need it, but we do our best not to be in that situation.  It is kind of like insurance... if you don't have it and don't need it, not problem.  If you need it and don't have it, problem.

My recommendation is to take your passport with you. It does no good left in the safe.

I take mine when leaving the ship out of country.  In country I leave it in the cabin.  

We do the same.

Bring it with you.  Just have the DOS number handy if you lose it or it got stolen.  Report it immediately.

Some ports will not accept a copy, only the original. We always carry the original but have 2 copies of the passport when we travel. One in the safe and one in a separate location with us in case anything happens to the original. 

We always left original in safe and only took only copy into Port but i got blasted for giving this answer on another question so I'm not sure anymore ??? Take a chance on getting it stolen or lost ?!? We sure as hell aren't going to miss the boat, book excursions only thru Carnival.

I would not leave the ship in a foreign country without my passport. It is a globally recognized ID as well as travel document.

The idea behind carrying a copy of your passport is to be able to provide the consulate the necessary information to replace a passport if needed. A copy is not an identification document, nor is it a travel document.

Although you may not plan on missing the ship, many things can happen - even on a ship sponsored excursion.

The ship guarantees that they will either wait or provide transportation to the ship at the next port.

Or I could slip and fall, breaking a leg. That would require a hospital visit, which would in turn make me miss the sailing.

Or, I could be passed out in a bar somewhere in Cozumel.

Many things could happen that would require me to have the passport in hand.

I do not trust the ship to open the safe, hand off my passport to the port agent, and the port agent to find me to give me the passport.

I'm not blasting anyone, just stating why I do what I do.

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.