Oasis class ship to Galveston 2020?

Saw in a Galveston travel article that RCL signed an agreement with port authority to upgrade terminals to support an oasis class ship. Anyone else seen other sources on this? I know Liberty goes to dry dock in the spring of 2020 so an Oasis class would be a great ship to carry the load.

Tags: Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas RCL Oasis Class to Galveston

52 Answers

Has anyone heard anything about this recently?

No, but Liberty of the Seas dry dock moved from April of 2020 to May 2021. Guessing its being kept in place until terminal upgrades can be completed and an Oasis class ship can be accomodated. (Don't think RCL would give up a 7 day large ship market to Carnival for a year.)

We cruised out of Galveston on a few times on Carny, so it was of interest. Merely google combinations of the following words..OASIS CLASS GALVESTON...VISTA CARNIVAL GALVESTON...(you get the point... ) finds literally dozens of news articles ...and recently too, explaining who what when and where..it may cause us to explore another line....

btw, I didn't pick a link to any because there were so many, right up thru 10/18...you can get lost in em.

yes - saw many of those articles, but haven't seen that the agreement to "ink" the new terminal was complete. RCL can't introduce an Oasis class ship without a new or updated terminal. Once its agreed-to, you can kinda guess when an upgrade might be complete . I'm guessing RCL tied Liberty dry-dock schedule to Oasis introduction.

reasonable conclusion...I went back and killed some time (we're gonna cruise in a few days and Im going slightly nertz...and I hope I always do!) you're right...no official legal mumbo jumbo...and nobody's parking anything that size until its done.

I wish too that there would be longer cruise lengths.

I thought one or other of the smaller RCL ships (Not Liberty) did a European rotation. So that as seasons changed, one of them rotated to Barcelona to add to the Med cruises. And then returned to the Caribbean when the season changed again.

It could be. Vision of the Seas was stationed in Galveston for while and then went elsewhere. I think it's back, but I'm not sure.

Sounds right. Thought I saw Vision itinerary on a Med rotation.

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.