SimonCommunity
Contributor Level: Captain

NEWS: "Cruises to Nowhere" Reportedly ending in 2016

Cruise Radio reports: Cruises to Nowhere Done in 2016

Tags: Norwegian Cruise Line Carnival Cruises Line

7 Answers

JusMe

That is a shame,  it was a good way to get feet wet to see if you like being on a ship or if you like a cruise line Sad  I can see how they were also a good fill gap for the cruise lines between itinerary changes. 

glomarrone
Contributor Level: Admiral

I once organized a group of us to go on a cruise to nowhere on the QE2 from NY.  We all had a wonderful time.  Sorry to read of this new development.  

Bubba54

Where I have never taken one, I do think it is sad the will be a thing of the past. It was a great way to introduce someone to cruising.

noname111

I never took one but seemed like a great way to get away for a few days.  This is really too bad and I am not sure the change in regulation does anything positive. Bureaucracy perpetuating itself.

BAK1061

Another restriction placed under the all too inclusive policies of the Patriot Act.    Thank you to the Bush family, who wants to run this country like its the family hardware store.  Too bad the first son already ran it like all his other businesses.  Right into the ground.

SimonCommunity

Though details are scarce, it doesn't seem like this is related to the Patriot Act but rather the Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886 (often mistakingly referred to as the Jones Act). The PVSA regulates transport of passengers to/from US ports by foreign-flagged cruise lines. Many in the cruise industry consider the PVSA to be outdated and in need off modernization, but it's unlikely that this is the type of change they hand in mind.  It's still unclear, why this change is being made, as Cruises to Nowhere appear to be legal under the terms of the PVSA. Obviously, there was some change or re-interpretation of the law.

I suspect we'll be hearing more about this in the coming days and weeks, and since this doesn't seem to be the whole story, I suspect there's another shoe waiting to drop that will make this change make sense. Stay tuned.

SimonCommunity

Looks like I spoke a bit too soon. Here's the scoop on the change from Customs and Border Protection:

http://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/customs-explains-end-of-cruises-to-nowhere.html

At least we know why.

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.