glomarrone
Contributor Level: Admiral

New Ecoship Deputs in 2020

This unique-looking new ship will be powered by wind and solar.  It will have retractable solar panels and wind generator.  It's distinctive hull shape was inspired by the whale.  It will carry 5,000 passengers and travel the globe on peace voyages.  For a photo and more information visit:

http://cruisefever.net/1203-cruise-ship-powered-by-wind-and-solar-to-debut-in-2020/

Tags: ecoship Peace boat boat powered by wind and solar peace voyages

12 Answers

noname111
Contributor Level: Captain

That's nice.  Not sure I'll ever cruise on it... but alternatives are always a good thing.

BDRebel

I'm not an engineer, but the design of the bow looks more like a submarine than a ship. It appears that it would encourage the ship to dive into the water rather than remain above it.

glomarrone

I probably won't sail on her either but is is good to know about new developments in the cruise industry.  

Johngold

If the public reaction is favourable to this vessel and type of cruise, then it will succeed. If not ...then... Cruise industry is a supply and demand driven business.

BDRebel

Honestly, I think that it is a good idea. If they are able to adapt it to vacation cruises rather than educational cruises, and keep roughly the same price point, then I would have no problem sailing on it.

JusMe

When I get on a cruise ship it is not for education it is to relax.  The most education I want when on a ship is to learn of a new drink at the bar and the enrichment lectures.

Kennicott

Oops---glomarrone, better reread your link.

First thing I noticed was the size of the ship. 50,000 gross tons. Then, I thought how in the world are they ever going to cram 5000 guests onto a smallish vessel like that? But Then I caught it, they said 5000 a year, not 5000 a cruise.   

askeegan
Contributor Level: Cruise Director

5000 a year?  So if we do the basic math on this one 5000 / 52 weeks = 96 passengers per trip...Roughly.  So realistically speaking 96 passengers would equate to high priced cruising and although I am all for sparing the environment any more ecological damage, the cost of this particular cruise would be astronomical.

glomarrone

I hope not! 

glomarrone

We will just have to wait and see.

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.