My First Cruise.

Hello Y’all. My first post in this community. Anyways, I’m gonna on My first cruise ever in February of 2020. What should I expect? What should I visit/ do in Cozumel and Progresso? Thanks.

Tags: Caribbean - Western

49 Answers

Welcome to the family, Sailingin2020!

I have never been to Progresso, but Cozumel offers a lot of activity - tour ancient ruins, take a motorcycle or quad tour, go scuba diving or snorkling, take in the beach at an all inclusive resort, or simply shop and barhop in the town.

What are your interests?

My interests are touring historical sites in Mexico, Food Tasting. Swimming and relaxing.

I think My Travel planner is lying to Me. She says Carnival Valor don’t have any scenic OV Rooms? Do y’all know if She telling the truth?

Carnival Valor (according to deck plans) splits its class of ocean view rooms into Ocean View (decks 1 and 2, located along the side of the ship) and Scenic Ocean View (located at the upper decks at the front of the ship).

Seeing as how there are only 20 Scenic Ocean View cabins, your TA may have been trying to say that there were none available. It is common for rooms in excellent locations to be sold out the first day.

I really doubt your TA is lying - it wouldn't be good for business.

Ok. I have OV Room now..should I upgrade to Balcony?

Welcome to Cruiseline----We need new blood.  Regarding a balcony, we don't cruise anymore without one but the advice I give to my younger friends is:  "Once you get your first balcony it is very difficult to enjoy a cruise without one. So maybe just a window for your first is a good idea."  

First off welcome! Now a warning, cruising can be addicting! To address lOV vs Balcony. We booked everything from inside cabins to balconies. For us it is all about the price. If the balcony is affordable we will go with it. We enjoy sitting on the balcony and watching to world go by, cup of coffee in the morning and glass of wine or cocktail in the evening. I always find it interesting the folks that book a balcony and never use it. When we have one we spend a lot of time on it weather permitting. So I guess what I’m saying if it’s in your budget go for it. Otherwise you can always find a nice place to sit and enjoy. Just be careful balcony on the first cruise could spoil ya! Enjoy your cruise!

Unlike Bubba, I have to have a balconyBig Smile

I tried going back to an OV one cruise (for a serious compensation by the cruise line) and was quite disappointed.

I like to sit on the balcony for a few hours each night, nursing a drink or two, just listening to the waves and looking at the stars.

My first cruise, though, was in an OV and I thought it was the greatest thing to happen, including sliced bread!

You may like the balcony, but unless you really plan to use it, then an OV should be good (usually a lot cheaper than a balcony).

If you do enjoy being by yourself on a boatload of passengers, or are seriously addicted to fresh air and solitude (like me) then you may want to spring for a balcony. Be aware, though, the balconies are not normally very big (the width of the room wide (10 feet?)  and about 4 feet deep).

From what I have heard, stay away from the large suites -- they are severely addictingBig Smile

I'm leaning towards the balcony. Im gonna drive to the Port City a couple days before Embarkation.

There is no "leaning toward"...do the upgrade and don't look back.. I have met some peeps onboard who sail in nothing but those lil boxes, doesn't bother them a bit...go there to sleep, period. However...we  did our first one with a balcony, and simply will NOT cruise without one...no regrets...but this is IMPORTANT...go look at the deck plans for your ship...see whats above and below....don't depend on your TA...give em 3-4 that you think looks good first...they might try to sell you whats left..the deck plans will help...now there may be a point where upgrading becomes unnecessary...depends on your budget...way up thar in the "high rent district"...but...the statement that you'll never be happy with anything less once you get a balcony is the absolute truth! and welcome! yeh KENNICOTT is right...fresh  errr…"new"  blood and all!!!

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.