Luggage

Should you lock your luggage for cruising? Or is that not allowed?

11 Answers

I do not both to lock it. I think you are supposed to leave it in such a way that it can be inspected if need be. Really, what are you protecting anyway? Your five year old underwear and a wrinkled bathing suit? I leave my cases unlocked and say a small prayer asking God to keep people honest as he intended them to be.

If the TSA wants to take a look they will cut the lock off.....even if it is a TSA approved lock that they should have the master key for.  We found that out when my neighbor flew and used some of my locks,  they had been cut off her bag when she got her bags at her destination.

I rarely check a bag so I do not bother to lock them since they are will me most of the time.

The cruise line I believe posts on their website that all luggage is subjective to search.  If you get chosen you will have to leave what you're doing and go to the search area and open it.  Just keep all valuables in your carry on.

I lock, and shrink wrap my luggage.  If they want it opened, they can call me down to the naughty room......and they have.

We lock ours as we are less trusting than DaveNAlison.  Only once was my DH called to open his luggage because he had a multi-tool in his "what if" kit. He got it back. We lock it when flying as well.  Yes, our luggage has been open and inspected.  Fortunately, they used the master key and did not cut the locks.

We just use zip ties to secure our luggage. When Mike’s suitcase  arrived home last weekend the zip tie had been replaced so he knows right away that it had been checked. The note inside confirmed it, and we appreciated that TSA did secure it shut again with another tie. 

They want my stained underwear and socks with holes in them, fine.  We dont lock our luggage as nothing is worth stealing.  Valuable stuff, we carry on.

Ooohhhh, the "naughty room" what was in your luggage?

Surprised

Right, you're Canadian. If it was someone from the state's like me, TSA would be sending out their O.W.A.S.P. after me. 

There are a bunch of videos available online that show just how futile locking actually is. Locks are meant to keep out honest people and if someone really wants in locks are a minimal deterrent. There are these neet little devices that allow one to open and reclose a zipper without it even being noticed. We usually carry our own luggage but even if we check it with the porter at the port it is not usually left alone long enough for someone to help themselves. Besides .. all the good things are always in the carry on. And besides, who is going to want to rummage through my underwear looking for something.

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.