Looking back at 2017

As we begin 2018, take a moment to reflect on your cruise and travel experiences of 2017.  What cruises did you take and where did you visit?  Do you have a favorite cruise memory from 2017?  Did you learn a new travel tip last year?  Do you have a favorite story from the Cruiseline.com Community during 2017?

Happy New Year everyone, and Happy Cruising!

12 Answers

We cruised last March on the Carnival Sunshine to San Juan, St Marten, St Kitts and Grand Turk. This is our favourite ship so far. The ports were spectacular, and our favourite excursion was on St Marten. There we took a bus to Orient Beach and then to MaHo Beach. The driver was funny, and so interesting with his stories about his island. We booked the tour through this site - ShoreFox excursions, and will use the company again for sure. They do guarantee getting guests back to the port in time.

This past cruise season, reinforced the notion that a bigger and newer ship is not necessarily a better ship. That traveling companions can make a marginal cruise so much fun you forget the minor problems. That saying "I told you so" when family sails during hurricane season, doesn't win you any favors with the rest of family.  That we still enjoy Aruba and Curacao as our favorite ports of call (so far).  That planning a cruise to meet forum friends (or a Bonnie says "cruise cousins") is fun. And most of all, that the people on this forum are supportive and willing to help you through bad times and cheer you through the good ones.  Thanks for a great 2017, everyone!

January cruise on Carnival Sensation--my first time at Half Moon Cay.  Absolutely gorgeous.  We made sure to book a cruise in July that stopped at HMC since the beach is perfect for kids and adults.

Enjoyed our family cruise in July on Carnival Splendor.  First cruise for eighteen month old Jaxon. 

First cruise on RCI.  Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan--second cruise after the hurricane.  Most nerve-wracking so far.  We were surprised that this itinerary was not our favorite--we thoroughly enjoyed it, but still prefer the Western Caribbean. 

Thanks for all the friendships and knowledge that Cruiseline has brought to me Happy

April cruise on the Vista to western Caribbean.  1st time on a ship if that size and that crowded with people.  Now I know to try and stay with the midsize ships.  The Concert Series was fun to meet Jay Leno and sit front row since we had VIP tickets.  

August road trip to Morro Bay,  one of my favorite places to visit.   I did a day trip up to Hearst Castle for one of the tours.  

October I was in Seattle to visit family

November we went to Venice Italy.  We got a hotel rite next to St. Mark's square.  It is so relaxing not to see or hear a car anywhere.  I liked it more then I thought I would and I want to go back and spend more time,  just get a water buss pass and spend a couple weeks stopping at each stop and exploring before going to the next stop.

April on the Royal Princess to Southern Caribbean

First time on the Royal -- outstanding ship.

First time on a front facing balcony -- Absolutely huge balcony without all the expected wind.

First time on a Southern Caribbean - Great islands that I had not previously been to.

Longest cruise to date -- 10 days. Need a longer cruise!

And saving the best for last -- First time with my new travel agents -- Thanks Mike and Amy!!!

I knew I was exhausted, but didn’t realize what a busy year of travel we’ve had until I really looked back at it.  We took 10 trips, including 7 cruises (3 in Europe!), and traveled for 66 days in 2017.

January, Carnival Valor from Galveston with an extra day due to weather.

February, trip to Las Vegas.

April, western France river cruise roundtrip Bordeaux aboard CroisiEurope’s MS Cyrano de Bergerac. Discovered Saint-Emilion, probably our favorite town in France!

May, trip to Wisconsin.

June, trip to Washington DC.

July, Danube river cruise Nuremberg to Budapest aboard Viking Gullveig.

October, Harmony of the Seas to the Western Caribbean. Disembarked in Ft Lauderdale, boarded Carnival Liberty in Port Canaveral the next morning. (And went into work for 10 of the 20 hours between cruises!)

November, Christmas Markets river cruise aboard Viking Atla (plus 3 nights pre-cruise in Prague) with 34 friends and family members. Everyone had so much fun we’ll be doing a Rhine river cruise in April 2019!

December, quick preview cruise aboard MSC Seaside.

I’ll be fine with a little less travel in 2018, and a little more time to spend with all the wonderful folks we’ve met here on Cruiseline.com! Happy

Never look back. Only forward.  2 cruises booked for 2018.  1 surgery scheduled.  Another being argued out in court.    Will be looking at 2019 itineraries.         Full steam ahead into 2018

Looking back over 2017, I did five cruises.  I enjoyed the Grand Princess the most.  I was also on the Island and the Ruby.  I did two cruises on Carnival Inspiration and think of the four cruise lines I've sailed the staff members on Carnival were the best.  But over all I enjoy Princess Cruises the most.  

Last year, I went to Europe for the first time and cruised Norwegian Star out of Venice, Italy. What a wonderful experience that was, although pretty exhausting since Med cruises are usually so port intensive! I also cruised Carnival for the first time aboard Vista to the southern Caribbean, and 3/4 of the countries visited were brand new to me. That was also a wonderful cruise. 

As far as other trips, I visited Florida a few times and rang in the New Year in Nashville, Tennessee which was fun (but cold!). 

Two cruises. Both on HAL Eurodam. First up in Alaska with friends and family, second down in Caribbean with a friend, enjoyed both of them tremendously. (despite all the devastation from the Hurricanes)

My next one is the 21 day on HAL Rotterdam doing the entire Caribbean in February. I can't wait!!!

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.