Contributor Level: Captain

July 5, 2015 Summit sailing returned to port

I started seeing posts about this on FB last night.  The Summit was stalled in NY harbor after pushing off from her moorings. Unfortunately, it appears that engineering opted to return to the dock because of the technical issue that was discovered.
It is not clear if people are disembarking or if Celebrity is going to try and repair and depart again. In any event, I really feel for the passengers. It is very disappointing indeed... especially in light of the fact that this is not the ship's first problem with the propulsion system.

Tags: Celebrity Cruises Celebrity Summit Summit propulsion problem

3 Answers

Contributor Level: Captain

In follow up - the good news was that the ship departed the next morning and still made port on schedule! Kudos to the ship's engineering department.

Contributor Level: Admiral

How unfortunate.  I have taken two cruises on the Summit and luckily we did not experience any problems. 

Contributor Level: Staff Captain

The Summit has a history of propulsion problems almost from day one.

* is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. is not responsible for content on external web sites.