How Would You Spend $1000 on a Cruise Ship?

We started this discussion last night on our Facebook page, and it's been a popular one so I thought we'd continue it here: 

If you had $1000 to spend onboard your favorite cruise ship, what would you do with it? 

Tags: Money Onboard Spending Cash

10 Answers

Only $ 1,000.00 ?  It would depend on the length of the cruise.   If it was a 4 night cruise or a 14 night cruise would depend how I'd spend.   On a 4 night cruise you would have to burn through it quick,  On a 14 night cruise $ 1,000.00 would not go to far with tips being $175.00 of it and my bar tab would be big chunk of it,  Dinner in the Steak House, a trip to the Spa and excursion and poof 1K is long gone.  On a 4 night cruise with an extra 1k,   I'd see if I could get cabin upgraded to a suite,  Hit the spa and book an excursions, tips and can not forget the bar tab.

I have spent over 1K myself on a 7 night cruise many times,  on the 14 night cruises it can hurt to see the bill at the end. I try not to look at the bill every day because then I stop thinking vacation mode and I go back to thinking responsible mode.   Responsible mode can ruin a good vacation.

On the two long cruises Monique and I have been on, the $1000.00 does not cover the bar bill. On the Seven Day Bermuda, it covers the bar bill for Monique, myself, and my son....plus the one night where we tasted scotch....lots of scotch...Wink

I would spend it on those shore excursions that are extremely expensive. 

I agree that $1000 is easily spent while on a cruise ship.  I would first book some shore excursions, sign up for a wine package and make a few reservations in the specialty restaurants. Beyond that, I would make a purchases in the  shops on board.  If the ship had a charity event, I would contribute generously to that.  There goes the $1000.  I don't think that we ever received $1000 for onboard credit.  The most that I remember is $850.  

A future cruise voucher....& RED Wink

I'd spend a day or more in the spa, esp on Celebrity.

If it was extra money I'd use it for shore excursions and an evening at a specialty restaurant. Maybe a splurge in the shops,

On my last cruise, between me and my wife, we had $998 OBC. After buying two future cruise credits ($100 each) we still cashed out about $150.

We had no temptation to go to the specialty restaurants, as the MDR was outstanding.

We did by some of that fine jewelry on the $10 table, though. Also, the bar tab cut into it a bit, as well as a bottle of tequila from the gift shop.

On further consideration, I think I might want to buy a nice piece of jewelry... at least I would look a bit more seriously at it.

JusMe... maybe you can adopt me?  Honestly, I may have spent over 1K onboard if I was in the spa a lot more than usual... but can count that on one hand.

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.