Hey BAK1061 - Need your Opinion

My son flies into JFK from St. Maarten and has a tentative reservation at the Mayflower Hotel.  Any comments? He's wanting to see Central Park, Times Square, etc. and will basically be there for a day.  Subway? Taxis?  It's been decades since I've been to New York and this is his first time....Any help will be appreciated.

16 Answers

Also, he normally travels with extensive photography equipment on our cruises and is wondering if he'd be better off leaving most of it home this time ...

Hmmm. That's a lot to do in one day.  I would recommend.......St. Patrick's Cathedral, and then across to Rockefeller Center to Top of the Rock.    However, a good choice is the Hop On - Hop Off  bus tour.  Red double deck busses, open air on the top. Better than walking around, and he'll see more of the city.  It's okay to bring the camera, just don't get weighted down with lenses. Two should be sufficient.

Safety.  Here is what I tell people.  Don't look like a tourist ( even though we can spot you a mile off ).  Don't flash cash.   Keep ID & credit cards in a thin wallet in a front pants or zippered pocket.  NO FANNY PACKS .   Oh, for extra protection, he can wrap a rubber band around the cash and wallet. The friction will enable him to feel if it is being lifted. Keep in mind, I haven't heard about a lot of pick pocketing going on. Maybe on a crowded train.   

Avoid the food carts, tempting as they are.  NYers have built up a resistance to Iocaine Powder.   Stick to fast food and restaurants.  I would download the MTA subway map, and avoid the cabs.   

I would suggest, when he leaves the hotel for the day, if he is leaving any valuables in the room safe, to take a picture of what he is placing in the safe, before and after it goes in.  Put something stupid, like a chess piece ( knight ) in the front. When he reopens the safe, compare the picture to what he sees. If ANYTHING looks wrong, like the chess piece is turned, have security come up ASAP.  That works for cruise ship safes too.

If you can get my e mail, I'd be more than happy to give you my phone #.  

I don't think we have a PM link.  If you want, try to get a hold of Simon, nevermind, I'll do it.

Ok I guess I will be the naive one, what is is locaine powder?  And why is it in the fast food carts?

Iocaine Powder is a reference to the Princess Bride.   Cary Elwes character built up a tolerance to it over time.  The same way NYers build up a tolerance to the food carts. A tourist risks getting sick.

okay, so, the Mayfair, is in the heart of Times Square. Great location.  Madam Toussauds is near the hotel, as are a few theaters and clubs. BB Kings comes to mind.

I'll talk to you tonight with a few thoughts.

Gotcha!  Makes sense now!

If you have a few minutes, click the link below....

https://youtu.be/rMz7JBRbmNo

LOL and we shall see who is right and who is dead!

Loved the reference.....

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.