GETTING OUR SHOTS (we think)

I decided to post this because I've been in here so long its like i actually "know" some folks in here even tho we've never met. The good ol CDC, no matter what you may think of them, has changed the rules yet again as to who qualifies for the vaccine. i notice the SECY of something or other has decided to cut loose the reserve...hmmmm....Our GOV in a state which shall go namesless..it IS cyber after all..has changed out rules accordingly. As of this coming mon 1/18, we are officially geezers...A few days ago, I started making calls to places that were "supposed " to be able to administer htese shots, per the states official list'

Good thing Im a cynic to begin with, because it didn't surprise me one bit that no two of them had anything close to the proper info as I understood it. or when they would be getting the vaccine, or how they were going to administer it. You would laff at some of the conversations, except its not a bit funny..We saw the outrageous lines in FL..I was getting ready to load up the beach chairs and a cooler, and leave at midnite or earlier....Do what you gotta do i thought.

As luck would have it, near the bottom of my list of sites I called a pharmacy...not a national chain but they have about 2 doz locations around the midwest. They were the only ones with a computerized registration process...we signed up. Got to thinking about it...(dangerous I know)...called em up...asked how many people were on that list and where were we? (it computerized, they should know) Well learned two things...in the few days since they started they have thousands of names on the list...and...TAADAA!! our appt is next thurs 1:30 pm.,,and yes you get an id card, and your next appt for the booster, and you hang around for awhile to make sure you dont keel over.

I would suggest you spend some time (if you haven't already) and do your best to reserve a place. they won't magically show up on your porch. Don't believe what you hear as gospel...most of these people know less than you think. wrong info can be worse than no info. Make it a project. I wound up with notes all over a clipboard...pretend its a screwed up cruise and you have to do what you have to do to unscrew it.

I'll let y'all know how it goes...assuming it really happens...

163 Answers

Right...the pharmacy we went to for our first a little over 2 wks ago, "reserved" 150 shots for first responders..mind you there are only 2 pharmacies in the whole county giving shots..and while our county is, shall we say, somewhat "underpopulated" (thank gawd) I had occasion to ask the pharnacist how many of the boyz showed up for their shots...he said "less than 50"...so they said, in effect, lets give em out to anyone else who "qualifies"..I asked howcum so few first responders got shots...seems to me they ought to be first in line and should certainly know better....he said "they don't trust em. and mostly will NEVER get em...." Now then, I know some of these folks personally....mind boggling isn't it?

As for the other...its not for lack of "places to go" to get the shots...and not having enough to go around yet either...theres minority folks out there (inner cities or not) who will echo the same exact sentiment as the locals around here....word for word....lets see the FED deal with that.

I once posted that if you want the vaccine, you're going to have to do some leg work to get it...they aren't going to show up on your porch....mebbe I was wrong..mebbe thats EXACTLY whats going to have to happen....

I just checked out the local guidelines for the vaccine - it seems I may be able to get it in 2024.

The priorities (in no particular order, but all rate a higher need than mine) Over 65, compromised immune system, frontline workers, resident of nursing home (I agree with these first four), resident of Indian reservation, obese, diabetes, prisoner, homeless, smokers, no health insurance.

With that line ahead of me, I may well be the last person in the county to get one.

I'm beyond grateful to have both my shots done. I can sleep easier at night knowing that I'm not passing the virus to my residents or family. As I got my second, I felt a huge wave of relief overcome me knowing that I have done everything I can to end this pandemic!

We got on as many lists as possible. They chose people at random, basically a lottery. We decided we would go with the first one available. So as soon as you can, put your name out there.

If folks are willing to scan through a bunch of these posts, THATs exactly what I advocated doing....I felt kind of guilty (for about 30 seconds) after we got on the first list...then I kept going....after we actually got our first shot, that afternoon I called them all back and cancelled...that was almost as difficult as getting on the list(s) in the first place. One place (a county mass vaccination event) claimed they entered it in their computer...later that evening I got a call from them confirming our appointment for the next day. BAH!....

Almost sounds like you are in Canada .. where vaccine is scarce and shots are scarcer ;)

Once you become eligible for the vaccine, be sure to call ASAP to schedule your appointment! There seems to be a lot of demand where I am and our site even crashed the first day...and our site can serve over 1,000 at a time. My dad logged on the moment he was eligible and couldn't even get an appointment for another month!

Excellent advice...and KEEP trying...altho I'm the first to admit it seems dumb luck has alot to do with it. Called this am to "reconfirm" our appt for next thurs for the SECOND shot. (paranoia) girl said alls well, no need to call again...(((click)))....heheheheh we're almost looking forward to the reaction to the second shot...almost....

Be prepared for more side effects, especially if you never had COVID. They're tolerable but will take you OUT for a day or two!

I've seen as many as 7 days. I thought mine was Long at 4 days, but I had 2 guys have side effects for a week. Granted, they are from a younger, much softer generation, but I will say they looked like crap still on day 6.

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.