Formal Night

I was wondering how do i know when the "formal night" is on my cruise? i have the list of activity via the RCCL app but i don't see anything that says formal night or is that just for dinner and if so is it in all places (except buffet)?

I really just want to relax and dress comfortable while on the cruise but i don't want to be that one person that is dressed down while everyone is all fancy...  

Tags: Royal Caribbean Brilliance of the seas

19 Answers

Its published in the daily newsletter.  On a 7 day, usually the second and next to last evening.

Anymore, (except on Cunard Lines) the formal night dress code is aimed solely at the MDR. 

The buffet, specialty restaurants and deck areas remain whatever dress code they have in place.

Also, the formal night dress code mainly states you have to cover your skin. Business Casual or Country Club casual will usually suffice, although, depending on the line, many will still rock their tux or coat and tie.

Yep. You will know the night before.

Generally, it is on a sea day - as already stated, it will be in the daily information sheet. Not all cruise lines are the same however, you will need to read up and check where exactly it applies.

Check the newsletter, but it's most likely going to be a Sea Day.  It won't be on your first night, as many people will be unpacking.  The same holds true for the last night of the trip, only people will be packing instead.  

Yes, formal night is generally on a sea day mid to end of the cruise depending on the schedule. Unfortunately, newsletters posted online by others are specific to the cruise and changeable day by day. 

Having said that, I have seen variations of dress on formal night. You may not want to dress to the nines but business casual would be good. Not sure if you are guy or gal but a simple outfit with a nice scarf or tie would suffice. Both are easy to pack. 

Other option is to request a different dining time that night so you miss the majority of costumed masses. The MD can suggest a time that would suite your preference to be a little more incognito. Or, have a lovely room service meal. 

Yes, that is what I always said too. Unfortunately, they lie. We are, as I type this, on a 22 day cruise which was originally listed as having three formal nights. (You normally know how many formal nights but not what specific nights the formals are on until after you board on embarkation day.)

We now know they changed that to two formal nights. The first was the first sea day after we sailed. The second will be the last night of the voyage, which is also a port day. And that following five consecutive sea days. Go figure. Don't think for minute they don't know about our being perplexed let alone displeased.

Modern cruising formal night is not like in Titanic unless you are on Cunard or maybe HAL.  On my last few cruises on Carnival and Princess I just wore Dockers long sleeve dress shirt and a tie with dress shoes for cruising in the states.  When I cruise in Europe I do pack my Tux as Europeans tend to dress up. On my last 3 night cruise on Carnival I just wore nice jeans with a long sleeve shirt and dress shoes.

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to check the fit of my tux. I dug it out of the back of the closet and found that it had shrunk over the last 20 years.

Looks like I need to go shopping for a new one.Crying

Well i am going to pack a few dresses, for the specialty restaurants and  formal not in case they are not on the same night. and i will make sure to pack slacks and a button down for my husband. 

as for Tux and a cocktail dress i will not go that fare but i will do something nice so we don't look like  odd balls.

thank you for the advice, i am getting excited because it's right around the corner... 

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.