First time Cruiser

Hey guys :)

I just wanted to pop in and say hello. My husband and I are going on the Ruby Princess in April for our 20th Anniversary.

We never really had a honeymoon so we decided to spoil ourselves this time around. *lol* Well, providing my parents don't mind watching our teens for a week 😏😂

If you have any tips, I'd be grateful.

6 Answers

Congratulations on your 20th, and welcome to the forum!

I think you will enjoy the Ruby. I sailed on her sister the Emerald and had a great time.

As for tips, just maintain your sense of humor if things don't go according to plan. Sometimes *ship* happens that is out of control of the cruise line. Don't let it get you down.

Hope you have a wonderful time.

Haha, ya gotta roll with the punches.

Thank you, hard to believe so much time has passed. :)

Welcome to cruising and this forum. Congratulations on 20 years together.

1.Be sure and join the roll call for your sailing. Go up to the header to "more", follow the the drop down prompt to "roll call" and then follow the prompts to your ship and your sailing. 

2. Enjoy the adventure. As BDReble mentioned don't worry if it isn't what you expected, sometimes the unexpected is better.

3.Don't let those around you who might be negative influence your fun.

4. Please come back and tell us all what you thought.  I will be on the Ruby Princes for the first time in September.

There is more but these are the quick ones and other folk will be around to give their opinions.  Remember these are just our opinions and you are free to ignore them (or at least the ones you don't like) as you choose.Wink

If this is your first time cruising, then you may find many of the articles on this site of great help (Top menu bar under "Advice")

Also, many of the posters on this board have cruised more times than I can possibly do. I'm sure that some of them will hop on this thread and provide more information. Please do not be afraid to post any questions or concerns you may have. We are generally a friendly bunch who are happy to help others.

------

Joined the roll call already :) I am so excited. Mostly because I'm a writer and want one of my stories to take place on a cruise. *haha* 

Does anyone know if you can go swimming in their outdoor pools in April? We're doing the 3 day trip from Los Angeles to Vancouver.

I'm sure you can -- the question is do you want to?

Even on my Alaska cruise, the pools were filled and open. Not too many people cared to be swimming in the cold though.

The first of your trip may not be too bad, but the last day may be a bit cool. There's always the hot tubs though.

The staff on the Ruby is great.  

Remember to go to the shows at least 30 minutes early to get seats.  45-60 minutes early for good seats.  Remember the International Cafe on the 5th deck.  It has food 24hrs a day and is a nice alternative dining place for a relaxed meal in the atrium area.  Make sure to check out the Skywalker's Lounge and the observation area on top of the lounge, nice views.  

Great gym.  I don't like spas treatments / massages since IMO they're a rip off.  But if you do sign up for one or both of those, go on embarkation day or sign up for a port day.  Better prices.  Keep in mind that after your time with the spa treatment / massage they will try to hard sell you over prices lotions and other items.  Just politely say no.  You can get equivalent items for less off the ship.  

Do a lot of exploring on your own too.  Don't be afraid to ask questions of staff members and even other cruisers.  It's rare to run into any sour people onboard a cruise ship.  Have fun!

Congratulations and welcome to the board. I hope we are able to answer most questions you may have. Please feel free to pick everyones minds and to join in with information of your own. 

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.