Shootingstarz04
Contributor Level: Third Mate

Excursions

Hi there!
  My husband & I are traveling on the Epic at the end of this month (July 31st) & are thinking about taking an excursions for 2 Italy stops--Rome & Florence/Pisa. Possibly Naples too. The prices seem SO expensive, especially for Rome, & I've been reading recommendations to book tours that aren't affiliated with NCL. Does anyone have any recommendations of good tour companies. We don't mind group ones, but are concerned with booking something that might be tricky to get to the starting point and/or conflicts with us getting back to the ship in time. Thanks!

Tags:

5 Answers

meghad23
Contributor Level: Captain

Good Luck!
I am jealous and wish I could be there. I am always leery of outside of the cruise ship excursions for the one reason if something happens and you do not get back to the ship, they will not wait for you. Some do it, I am a big scaredy cat.

Shootingstarz04

Exactly my worries! I'm excited to experience a new place each day, but the time constraints each day are kind of a pain!

JusMe

Both of the ports you mentioned are far the city's.  (Rome was about 45 min to one hour by car to the port) So just remember,  if your non-ship excursion is late returning to port the ship will leave with out you!!  Then it is your expense to meet up with the ship at the next port of call.  also if there is an issue with weather or something and a port is missed the ship will not refund you for a non-ship excursion.

Ship Mate smart Phone app has lots of non-ship excursions listed for each port.

You can take the train from the port into Rome and then get around on the sub way.   Subway stops are close to most major things you want to see in Rome.  The subway runs every 10 to 15 min.  The trick is catching a train back to port before the ship leaves.  They train does not run as often as the sub way.  I  have spent a few weeks in Rome over a couple of trips and used the sub way to get around the city.   I did not take the train to the port because I had all my luggage so I took a Limo that was I think 100 euro one way.

I would suggest if your only in Rome for a port day,  I would stick with a ship excursion to your guaranteed to get back to the ship on time or the ship will ware for you.  Also on a  ship excursion they can get special entrance to attractions without the long lines that the general public has to stand in so you may get to see more.  One day is no where near enough time to explore Rome.

When in Italy if you can,  stop for lunch and a glass of wine,  look for the small not fancy places that locals go to eat.   The food is fantastic,  wine with lunch is cheaper then bottled water.   Sorry if I went on a  bit,  Rome is just my favorite city to visit.

Enjoy your cruise and please leave a review and photo's when you return Happy

Shootingstarz04

Thank you! About how long of a subway ride is it from the port to Rome?

JusMe

"Civitavecchia, also referred to as “Port of Rome”, is a modern port located 45 miles (70 kilometers) north west of Rome. There is a train station in Civitavecchia city where trains run hourly. It could take from 45 minutes to 1 hour and 20 minutes to reach the port from Rome depending from the train you are catching."

The train will stop at the main Terminal where you get off the train and switch to the sub way.  

You could burn 3 hours each way between waiting for train, sub way and walking to the train from port.

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.