Disappointed

Disappointed and annoyed.  I bought a May, 2018, cruise to Bermuda on the NCL Escape. It is now late March, roughly 2 months before the cruise, and I just received an e-mail, from my travel agent, regarding a nickel-and-dime fee increase (will total an additional $20 for gratuities for the 7 day cruise).  This email is the only communication from either NCL or my travel agent since I paid for the cruise in early January, 2018, and prompted me to wonder if I should make enquiries about my cruise.  Lo and behold, I just found that passengers need to register electronically--and are able to make reservations (e.g., for specialty dining and shows) beginning 90 days prior to departure!  I didn't know that I was able to make reservations beginning in mid-February, and consequently missed an opportunity--looks like we cannot get into the Cagney's Steak House! I cannot help but feel cheated by the total lack of communication by both NCL and my travel agent.  When I complained to travel agency (Yankee Trails), I was told that information about reservation windows was noted in the fine print on my payment receipt.  This is, in my opinion, a very poor excuse for shoddy treatment of a first time customer.  Guess the lesson here is you can't count on NCL or Yankee Trails Travel Agency to provide timely assistance.  This incredibly poor treatment and communication is in stark contrast with the superior treatment I received from Cunard in a 2015 cruise on the QM2.

Tags: Norwegian Cruise Line NCL Cruise & Yankee Trails--Caveat Emptor!!!

18 Answers

Sorry for your frustration!  Usually, if you deal with a travel agent, the cruise line cannot override any notifications.  So your beef is with your TA.  Also, if you check a thread on this forum, you may notice if you pre-pay your standard gratuities before the end of this month, you will not be charged the extra $20. Sounds to me, like you need a new TA and/or deal with the cruise line directly.  I learn a few things from each cruise booking and sailing.  I now read each tiny bit of information... recently I didn't and wish I had.  So enjoy what you will get to do and don't let this spoil your fun.  I know that's hard to do, but it the long run you'll be happier (In other words: do as I say not as I did).

Go to the NCL website and log in.  Put in your reservation # and prepay the gratuities.  I am taking the same cruise in April.  Don’t worry about Cagneys. You may be able to book onboard as there are always cancellations.  

As stated, your beef is with your TA, not NCL.  And you can’t compare Norwegian to Cunard.  That’s like comparing Oranges to apple sauce.

I second Aunt Pinkie's recommendations.  I would bet the majority of us here have similar learning experiences to yours.  Don't let it ruin your excitement--it's very possible you can still grab a reservation at Cagney's if someone cancels or you may be able to take advantage of a no-show on board.

I had one abysmal TA, but I have booked a couple of cruises with an online agency and they were careful to tell me (more than once) to be sure and go to the RCI website and do my online check in.

NCL website is very easy to use and I am very familiar with how to deal with Carnival glitches, so I book my cruise directly with them.  

I knew a  Corinne growing up. Her nickname was Corky.

I think she baby sat me once or twice.

Hi Corinne15!  A good travel agent should be there helping you all along.  If you don’t hear from them again after you pay for the cruise, they are not doing their job.  There are many great agents out there who make traveling easier, more rewarding and more cost effective – unfortunately it sounds like you didn’t get one of them.  Hope the cruise itself is fantastic!  We look forward to hearing all about it when you return!

Thank you, I don't mind paying the extra for the staff, besides I will leave a daily tip to direct staff. I am still looking forward to trip, and wanted others to be aware.

where do you hail from? could be me, lol.

thank you, we will have fun

Northwest New Jersey

WML

I wouldn't take credit for helping to raise Kergan LOL Big Smile

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.