Dinner

Is there a captains dinner on the Norwegian Epic cruise.

4 Answers

Most lines do more of a Captains cocktail party where the Captain introduces the officers and head chefs. Last time I was on NCL they held it in the theater and you pay for your drinks.

I agree with JusMe, in fact I doubt if there is such a thing as a "Captains Dinner", even on Regent there isn't. However, there is a Captains Table in the MDR on occasion, only a select few may get an invite. On some lines other officers invite select guests to their table in MDR. It is real common on the luxury lines.

As JusMe indicates, there is almost always a Captains Cocktail party, usually on formal nights. Actually, more than one. There is at least one where all guests are invited, fortunately I haven't been to one of those where you had to pay for your own drinks, imagine it is coming though. Then the Captain has a cocktail party for select groups, like for upper members of the cruise line loyalty club. I know on Princess he has one for the "Elites" and "Platinums".

Personally, we shun the party where all are invited as the line is a mile long and many want to have their private chitty-chat with the captain so that takes up more time. On the occasions we have been to one of those the theatre is so packed that to me it is a joke. They usually have waiters running around with free glasses of champagne, wine, beer, etc and other waiters with trays of hor d'oeuvres but as soon as a waiter enters his/her tray is snatched clean. As you can tell, those events are not one my favorite aspects of cruise life. A little more than a meat show, is all.

What I love is the "block parties". When the announcement is made, you take your wine glass and go out into the corridor where your nearby fellow cabin guests are gathering and chatting. Then comes the staff, pouring the best of wines, followed by trays of excellent hor d'oeuvres. Then comes the captain, almost on a run, shaking everybody's hand. He does that with everybody who goes out into the corridor. Then comes more wine and hor d'oeuvres. Obviously only the smaller vessels have this.

NCL does have a Captain’s table, but I think it’s by invite only

The Captain's Table can be by reservation only or a personal invite.

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.